Provide leadership, technical and tactical support for all phases of the EHS program for 177 locations including 15 Tier I manufacturing locations in North America (14) and South America (1). Establish consistent, company-wide policies, data management tracking systems and reporting. Develop/implement Safety, OSHA and Cal/OSHA compliance achievement plans. Establish audit systems and provide oversight for audit systems to drive employee engagement and regulatory compliance improvement programs. Implement workers' compensation claims management and cost containment programs. Integrate risk management criteria into operational measures; review new/modified products, processes and equipment. Evaluate legislative changes relating to safety and environmental issues for impact on organizational policies and procedures. Develop and implement safety and environmental compliance audits. Develop budgets and long range strategic plans. Provides on-going communication related to all EHS performance, priorities, cost and major issues to all stakeholders.
- Responsible for leading and directing Environmental, Health, & Safety programs across all Olam Americas locations with a heavy focus on North America.
- Drive cultural change by promoting management, supervisory and employee responsibilities for equal emphasis of safety, environmental, quality and production requirements.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of company health, safety and environmental policies across multiple locations.
- Communicate environmental information to individuals or groups; explain plans, violations, or exceptions to environmental standards; and provide technical assistance to meet standards.
- Analyze environmental conditions and recommends changes to prevent or eliminate dangerous substances and materials.
- Analyze health and safety conditions and recommends changes to prevent or eliminate risks through engineering controls, process changes or personal protective equipment.
- Review and analyze loss runs and incident data to apprise plant management of trends to support safety program development, improvement and cost reduction. Establish and participate in root-cause analysis of all accident reviews at any location when there is a serious injury to an employee. Represents the company during the investigation by outside parties.
- Develop and implement formalized, company reporting mechanisms for injuries, workers compensation, and environmental releases.
- Develop and/or conduct management and supervisory training in current environmental/safety topics for all locations.
- Provide the necessary support to manage the workers' compensation claims management program by the insurance company and local clinic medical personnel.
- Develop departmental budgets and participate in capital projects.
- Develop Staff.
- Perform other duties as needed and/or assigned.
- Lead team in operating with a high level of efficiency, integrity and enthusiasm, striving to achieve excellence in all endeavors.
- Provide relevant information to sector on all EHS matters.
- MIS related to EHS activity.
- Spearhead accidents investigation and corrective actions and implementations.
- Legal compliances related to EHS.
- To initiate activities to minimize accidents best practices, process and techniques.
- Own and monitor the safety KPI, Balance Score Card and always look for improvement in it.
- Perform seminar and training from time to time for all departments.
Education/Experience/Skills: (list minimum requirements):
- Bachelor's degree in Safety, Environmental or related field; should include course work in safety management, safety and environmental regulations, workers compensation.
- 7 plus years experience in Safety, Health, Environmental and Workers' Compensation claims management.
- CSP (Certified Safety Professional), ARM (Associate in Risk Management and/or Self-Insured Certificate a plus.
- Strong management and training background.
- Knowledge of Federal, State OSHA, EPA regulations and workers' compensation laws.
- Experience dealing with regulatory agencies, i.e., OSHA, EPA, CalOSHA, CalEPA, DOT
- Proven ability to motivate, direct and coordinate the safety activities of managers and their direct reports.
- Ability to work independently with little direction from manager.
- Knowledgeable of Information Technologies functionality, interfaces and reporting
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Products -- Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point