Director, Environmental Affairs and Compliance
At Hilmar Cheese Company and Hilmar Ingredients, we improve lives around the world by being a leading producer of wholesome dairy products that contribute to the success of all stakeholders. We are one of the world’s largest and most respected manufacturers of cheese, whey protein, lactose and milk powders. We are successful for two reasons: (1) we know the cheese and ingredients business really well, and (2) we know that we can’t succeed without great people!
A Typical Day
The Director of Environmental Affairs and Compliance is responsible for the development and implementation of the company’s environmental management systems and programs to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and company policies and procedures at all sites.
- To provide direction and development of short-term and long-term plans for environmental activities including sustainability, air, waste water, storm water, and waste management for the company facilities.
- To ensure compliance with appropriate regulatory requirements through:
- Timely compilation and submission of required reports and other correspondence to regulatory authorities;
- Negotiation of permits and applicable permit conditions;
- Liaison and communication with regulatory authorities;
- Management of audits and/or inspections by regulatory authorities;
- Regular review of water reclamation operations and environmental systems;
- Participation in regulatory authorities and other entities outside meetings, workshops and working committees.
- To provide technical and operational oversight and development of the water reclamation processes.
- To provide leadership and management of the Environmental staff.
- To ensure effective communication of environmental matters to the Steering Team and other managers to aid effective decision making within the company.
- To supervise external consultants used in the regulatory reporting, permitting and water reclamation processes.
- To develop the annual Environmental budget and provide assistance for development of the Water Reclamation annual budget.
- To participate in and support industry groups working toward improving environmentally related regulatory processes and policies.
- To participate in and support regulatory authorities programs working toward improving regulatory authorities’ knowledge and understanding of issues affecting the company.
- Annual completion of Company Safety training program(s).
- Annual completion of Company Food Safety overview training.
- Promote Company Culture
- Achieve common business goals through cooperative alignment with all departments.
What You Will Need
- English skills must be proficient to understand, read, write and speak English
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Technology or other Science related discipline.
- 8 years of broad, in-depth knowledge of environmental management experience.
- Proven ability to communicate and influence external regulators and industry organizations.
- Project management experience.
- Demonstrated, advanced communication skills (verbal and written).
- Experience in wastewater treatment processes.
- Understanding of environmental regulatory processes at one of the three levels required: California, Texas and/or Federal levels.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office Software such as Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to travel by air and car up to 20% of the time to execute job duties.
- Required to have a valid driver’s license. Required to obtain a California driver’s license or appropriate state driver’s license within 30 days of hire.
What Will Put You Ahead
- Master’s degree
- Understanding of farming and milk processing practices.
- Understanding of the principles of environmental engineering and management.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to:
- Stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and talk or hear.
- Sit, Stand and / or walk almost the entire workday.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- Exposure to dust, fumes, smoke, gases, or other irritating substances.
- Exposure to solvents or chemicals.
- Exposure to slippery walking surfaces: water.
- Exposure to marked changes in temperature and humidity depending on time of year.