ARYZTA is a global baking company with a Passion for Good Food. We provide our retail and foodservice customers with a portfolio of bakery solutions so they can deliver memorable, delicious food to consumers. With operations in the United States, Canada, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand, ARYZTA has become a global leader in the baked goods industry and one of the largest specialty bakery companies in the world. Our leading bakery brands in North America include La Brea Bakery®, Otis Spunkmeyer®, and Oakrun Farm Bakery®. We have 58 state-of-the-art bakeries and kitchens around the globe, with 26 of those in North America, and are committed to driving innovation, predicting upcoming consumer trends and flavors, and exceeding our customers’ expectations. The Americas team champions the values of Integrity, Ownership, Customer Focus, Creativity and Care to help us deliver on People Safety, Food Safety, Quality and Collaboration.
Director of Engineering Services
The Director of Engineering Services is accountable for the provision of technical services in the areas of reliability, project management, and capital program management and other related engineering areas in line with business needs.
The role will support the bakeries in the management of large and complex capital projects meeting objectives for safety, schedule, budget, maintaining sanitary design of equipment, and with an end result of meeting or exceeding design performance requirements. In addition, the role will provide support to the bakeries to enhance existing equipment reliability as measured by downtime, adherence to production standards, and service response times.
- Is directlyresponsible for all elements of project management from BOD to commissioning and handover and ensures that all project objectives are met onschedule, safely and withinbudgetary limits. Project management duties include:
- Scheduling, budgeting, coordinating project objectives within budgetary limits and reporting status.
- Vendor and equipment investigation, selection, price negotiation, coordination, and procurement efforts related to projects.
- CER development and submission, including the development of presentations to facilitate funding approvals.
- Preparation and review of scope documents, job specifications and drawings.
- Supervising contractors in the execution of projects and in the commissioning and handover to Operations
- Facilitates project reviews and stakeholder meetings and provides the necessary reports on project progress and budget status.
- Utilizes systematic approach for project management and promotes the use of tools for continuous improvement.
- Works across Regional boundaries and provides support to local Bakery Operations and Maintenance Teams to ensure the timely completion of small budget projects.
- Manages regional multiyear Capital Program, including plan development and regular reporting on project status, commitments, and spending.
- Supervises Engineering resources in the execution of project management activities and provides mentoring and development activities for same.
- Interacts with Business Units and Division Supply Chain teams, along with Corporate Support Services, to share best practices, upgrade common work processes, and provide feedback on vendor and equipment performance and input for continuous improvement.
- Uses a playbook approach to bakeries Maintenance functional improvement including:
- Analysis and Prioritization of Reliability issues
- Evaluating Maintenance Program effectiveness through auditing, gap analyses, and development of remediation plans
- Storeroom Parts right sizing and optimization audits
- Auditing personnel skill sets, identifying gaps and developing appropriate training plans
- Setting Measurement systems in place to assure progress
- Challenging the Bakery Team toward CI
- As Subject Matter Expert, generates engineering solutions to repetitive failures and other problems that adversely affect plant operations.
- Assists in management of equipment supplier related issues causing inefficiencies, regulatory, safety and/or quality problems.
- Ensures equipment is in compliance with all sanitation, safety and environmental requirements by local and federal regulatory authorities.
- Supervises Engineering resources in the execution of reliability improvement activities and provides mentoring and development activities for same.
Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Experience of 10 years of reliability engineering and project management in food engineering.
- Knowledge of asset care and maintenance management. Preferred experience in SAP maintenance management.
- Experienced in Maintenance KPIs utilized to improve Maintenance performance resulting in best class uptime.
- Experience leading engineering teams both at the corporate and operations levels.
- The leadership style and mental agility to move effectively between strategic roles and hands-on execution roles.
- Successful leadership over a diverse types of capital projects from simple to complex. Ability to manage projects from feasibility thru start up and performance validation.
- Knowledge of current personnel safety, food safety, environmental and regulatory compliance issues related to manufacturing and in the food industry.
- Experience applying engineering knowledge cross-functionally to support new food development and commercialization in specialty foods categories.
Education, Technical Qualifications, Experience and Competencies Proficiency Level
- Candidates considered for the Director of Engineering Services role at ARYZTA will have outstanding interpersonal skills and leadership traits. In order to be successful at ARYZTA, candidates must be highly results-oriented, driven, focused and able to balance multiple priorities and issues in a fast-paced global environment. They will possess an exceptional level of intellectual, professional and interpersonal agility and flexibility, combined with strong analytical and strategic problem solving skills. They will have the ability to collaborate while at the same time having the initiative to drive for results. Of critical importance will be the ability to know when to finish analysis and transition to implementation. The Director of Engineering Services must be a team player with a balanced ego and an approachable style.
- Candidates will also have a strong affinity and passion for the business and the customers that ARYZTA serves each and every day. Finally, they must possess exceptional integrity and ethics.
- B.S. Engineering (any discipline)
ARYZTA is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer(AA/EOE)