The role requires ability to step into multiple roles ranging from technical product manager, team mentor, and technical architect. This position is ideal for individuals with high accountability, developing future leaders, strong analytical skills, financial skills, great communication style, a partnership mentality, and comfort turning facts into recommendations. The individual must be able to influence cross-functional business partners and effectively provide the Technology point-of-view on complex business issues to senior management, team members, and partners.
Key Role Responsibilities
As an Engineering Director for eCommerce, you will:
- Establish a technology vision and strategy for eCommerce services, focusing on business outcomes tracked via key metrics, including overall financial management
- Lead and develop a 75+ member product team (FTEs & contractors) responsible for automating or simplifying complex eCommerce transactions including: Shopping cart, Reservations, transfers etc.
- Partner with Technology and Product leadership to define, drive, and deliver our eCommerce services to power the brand’s omni-channel front-end experiences (website, mobile apps, in-store experience)
- Closely collaborate with Product Design and Leadership to identify solutions, prioritize the product roadmap and delivery commitments.
- Foster a product culture within the eCommerce product teams, establishing best practices around discovery, prototyping, continuous and rapid testing and learning, with a relentless focus on delivering customer value.
- Collaborate with other Product Managers and Architects on the design and integration with other products and/or technology platforms.
- Collaborate with other key stakeholders (e.g., legal, security, etc.) to ensure product features meet all security and privacy requirements.
- Partner with Reliability Engineering team to ensure proper controls have been implemented for proactive monitoring of critical product features, availability, and stability.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Proven technology leader with experience building and managing highly engaged teams
- Passionate about web/technology
- Persuasive communicator – able to explain complex or intangible concepts to stakeholders at all levels
- Good listener – weighs input from multiple perspectives when forming opinions and recommendations
- Collaborative and team-oriented work approach
- Experience gaining consensus among a large, diverse group of stakeholders
- Experience managing, training and mentoring others in Engineering methodologies and best practices.
- Able to easily motivate and inspire team members, peers, stakeholders and executives
- Innovative; thinks beyond boundaries
- Analytical; solves problems at root cause and prioritizes effectively
- Continuous improvement mentality; never satisfied
- Comfortable speaking to large audiences and executives
- Flexible and open-minded; proactively seeks input from others
- Entrepreneurial drive and spirit; enjoys working in a fast-paced environment
- Handles constructive criticism with ease; adapts easily and efficiently to change
Education and/or Experience:
- BA/BS Degree required. Master’s Degree a plus.
- 10+ years’ experience in consumer Web Product Management or related field. E-Commerce experience a plus.
- 3+ years’ experience managing direct reports
- Experience with lean/agile development processes