This director level attorney position will work on the Ross Legal team as a member of the Employment Law group working directly with business stakeholders and HR to develop, implement, and monitor policies and practices to promote compliance and mitigate legal exposure, while effectively managing claims.
This attorney will work collaboratively and responsively with a broad range of colleagues, facilitating a coordinated team approach to providing employment law legal services including: advice and counsel on the full range of employment issues (such as employee discipline, policies, leaves and accommodations, investigations, separation agreements), optimal litigation results (agency, individual, and class action), employment law training/skills development, and projects.
The position will report to the VP, Employment Law and will work directly with the Senior Director, Employment Law on claims management, as well as other team members.
- Day to day employment law advice: Provide practical and business-focused employment law advice and counsel, taking into account multiple stakeholder perspectives where necessary. Assess risks and offer client-focused practical solutions and options.
- Claims management: Deliver effective, business-focused agency charge, attorney demand and litigation results efficiently, appropriately leveraging and managing outside counsel.
- Proactive compliance: Partner with HR and other stakeholders to develop, implement, and monitor policies and practices to promote compliance and mitigate legal exposure. Maintain constructive relationships with clients, stakeholders and peers and work collaboratively to identify and assess options for resolving compliance issues.
- Reporting and continuous learning: Partner effectively/collaborate with team members to ensure adequate reporting on litigation outcomes and learnings, internal/external trends, legal updates and projects updates, and to develop a/or deliver effective employment law training.
- Ross Legal team: Collaborate and build positive, productive relationships with team members at all levels across the legal department.
- Integrity & Trust
- Business Acumen
- Organizational Agility
- Motivating Others
- Problem Solving
- Action Oriented
- Political Savvy
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- California JD with 10years of experience and 5-plus years in-house employment law experience (or the equivalent)
- Broad and deep employment law knowledge; extensive, successful experience advising on the wide variety of employment law issues that arise in a corporate environment including but not limited to investigations, policy development, HR projects, ADA/Leaves/Title VII, and improving compliance
- Track record of developing/maintaining trusting relationships with diverse array of business partners and working collaboratively across layers and business units
- Flexible team player with exceptional interpersonal skills
- Strong business sense with excellent legal acumen, analytical, drafting and negotiation skills
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills with attention to detail
- Experience managing a large volume of work in a fast-paced environment, while following through and meeting deadlines
- Excellent oral/written communication skills including ability to communicate in plain language
- Collaborative and helpful - as concerned about team members as him/herself
- Job requires ability to work in an office environment, primarily on a computer.
- Requires sitting, standing, walking, hearing, talking on the telephone, attending in-person meetings, typing, and working with paper/files, etc.
- Consistent timeliness and regular attendance.
- Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
- While this position may not have direct reports, as an attorney with responsibility for managing claims and projects, there is responsibility to effectively delegate to and develop the Employment Law team.