Reporting to the Assistant Vice President of Employee Relations (AVP, ER), the Director, Employee Relations (ER) partners with the AVP, ER to implement overall strategy of the ER team, handle more complex executive level ER matters, partner with the Ethics office to ensure successful resolution of ethics matters, serves as a mentor to Senior, Employee Relations Consultants (ERCs) and provide back-up support to the AVP, ER. The incumbent will assist the AVP, ER in driving change, improving processes and defining the operating model for ERC team. In addition, the incumbent will collaborate with multiple stakeholders across the enterprise to ensure adherence to policies and processes while optimizing risk management in support of positive, high performing, and highly ethical work environment and practices in the US.
This position minimizes legal exposure for the Company through effective employee relations consultation, knowledge of HR policies, and employment laws. Based on the scope and nature of employee relations issues to be resolved, this position has significant impact on the manager-employee relationship, and the work environment.
The Director, ER will also own client areas and serve in a consultative role by providing guidance to management on employee relations issues. The position isresponsible for understanding and balancing the needs of the business and our clients while ensuring practical, consistent application ofHR policies and practices. The Director, ER must understand and ensure the consistent and effective application ofHRPolicies, practices and programs and compliance with FMLA/ADA, Title VII, and other federal and state employment laws.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Accountable for complex officer and executive level ER situations across the enterprise.
- First point of contact on all ethics reports that require HR involvement and responsible for delegating issues to ER team to ensure swift resolution of code of conduct violations in adherence with Unum’s Performance Improvement/Disciplinary Policy.
- Proactively tracks, monitors and analyzes data to identify trends and patterns in the work environment across the enterprise and develop recommendations to effectively address issues as appropriate.
- Assist AVP, ER in driving change, improving processes and defining operating model for ERC team.
- Serve as the back-up to the AVP of ER as needed.
- In partnership with the AVP, ER responsible for the successful implementation of Employee Relations practices in support of achieving business goals, a positive work environment, and in line with laws and highly ethical approaches.
- Assist in the development, implementation or rollout of new policies and procedures in line with external best practice.
- Be an objective and trusted advisor for HRBPs, ERCs, employees and all levels of leadership.
- Consult leaders to effectively resolve performance and attendance issues, address policy and Code of Conduct violations in adherence with Unum’s Performance Improvement/Disciplinary Policy and in compliance with law.
- Conduct fair and objective HRinvestigations, including, but not limited to, unfair management practices, bullying, hostile work environment, harassment, discrimination, etc.
- Provide thorough and timely documentation in the ER CoE’s case management tracking tool.
- Demonstrate independent judgement and discretion and recognize when to escalate more complex matters to the AVP, ER and other key stakeholders as appropriate.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- College degreerequired; graduate degreepreferred.
- 8-12 years of experience leading complex Employee Relations issues at the executive level.
- Ability to quickly establish strong credibility at the executive level through demonstrated expertise, self-confidence, influencing skill and insight.
- Must be able to address and resolve conflict at the executive level.
- Demonstrated experience driving change and process improvement.
- Ability to effectively delegate and accomplish work through others.
- Ability to effectively handle and prioritize multiple competing responsibilities.
- Solid understanding of ER practices, laws, impacts.
- Strategic thinking skills; able to understand how individual situations impact the whole.
- Strong workplace investigation skills.
- Strong data analysis skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately.
- Strong collaboration skills across business areas, corporate functions and within HR.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with a disciplined approach to case documentation.
- Proficient with technology such as HRIS systems, Microsoft Office software (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint), etc.
- Ability to travel, on a limited basis, as needed.
- Meets the standards for this position, as defined in the Talent Management framework.