The Director, is responsible for overseeing the Employee Relations/HR operations for assigned business units. Specifically, the Director will be responsible for aligning the goals and objectives of Employee Relations with the organization’s strategic goals. Building relationships with department managers to help meet HR and organizational objectives is critical to the role. HRsupport by providing advice, council and guidance to department directors; managers, supervisors and executive leaders. Oversees human capital in regards to HR analytics, managing organizational change, awards and recognition strategy and programs, staffing, employee engagement and positive employee relations, performance management, succession planning, policy administration, employee and manager development, administration of Joint Commission and Department of Health HR regulations and legal compliance under all applicable State and Federal employment laws. Works to resolve grievance/issues at lowest levels and strives to maintain positive employee relations. Serves as a facilitator to business unit teams and provides direction and expertise as a strategic business partner.
Actively promotes a Lean work culture by performing team member duties to encourage consistent use of LEAN principles and processes, including continually seeking work process improvements. Recognizes the necessity of taking ownership of one’s own motivation, morale, performance and professional development. Strives for behavior consistent with being committed to Excela’s mission, vision and values.
Core Essential Functions:
1. Regular, consistent, on-site, and timely attendance.
a. Safe Environment
Safety of patients and employees
1. Establishes and maintains a safe working environment; assures staff comply with safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines.
2. Assures proper use of safety equipment and devices; holds individuals accountable if non-compliant.
3. Assures completion of staff competencies including mandatory education and programs relative to job specific criteria.
4. Promptly investigates and resolves Significant Occurrence Reports and incident reports as necessary.
a. Quality of Work
Completion of work without error, customer satisfaction, communication
1. Aligns strategic compass with department goals; writes compelling SMART goals in support of the organization's mission, vision, and values. Helps employees understand importance of aligning goals with Excela Health mission.
2. Equitably and consistently applies and practices policies and procedures for all staff.
3. Practices and encourages staff readiness in compliance with agency regulations and guidelines.
4. Improves HCAP scores according to fiscal year targets; demonstrates year after year improvement in service to internal and external customers.
5. Responds to client service recovery issues within required time frame and to the satisfaction of the customer.
6. Holds regular department meetings, assuring off shifts and satellite offices receive timely and accurate information.
7. Maintains a daily meeting board for purpose of displaying problem solving activity.
8. Builds and strengthens relations through the fostering of two-way communication; diffuses sources of conflict.
9. Provides opportunities for staff to actively provide input into decision making process; seeks input before decision is made.
10. Encourages commitment of quality work throughout areas of responsibility.
Volume fluctuations, throughput, length of stay, delivery of care
1. Understands and effectively deploys the LEAN tools to streamline work processes, eliminating waste and redundancy while improving productivity.
2. Acts on most urgent tasks; prioritizes and delegates workable systems.
3. Uses critical thinking skills to proactively resolve key issues that are possible de-railers to productivity and engagement.
4. Leads at least one process improvement initiative for department per year; participates in at least one LEAN project per year outside of department.
5. Clearly articulates what is expected of individuals and provides them with the materials and equipment to do their work.
6. Adheres to Premier benchmarks for own department
5. HUMAN DEVELOPMENT:
a. Development of individuals at all levels
Compliance, staffing, recognition, talent management, training and development
1. Utilizes employee engagement survey results in carrying out impact plans; demonstrates employee engagement by employee satisfaction results from survey to survey.
2. Establishes performance measures to equitably evaluate staff using objective and job-based criteria; coaches toward compliance and addresses variances.
3. Provides regular feedback, praise, and recognition; rewards accomplishments and results appropriately.
4. Holds staff accountable for consistently modeling the behavioral standards.
5. Identifies, evaluates, and selects internal and external talent, assuring an acceptable fit with Excela Health desired culture; effectively matches right person to right job.
6. Provides opportunities for the education, training, and development of staff to help them reach their highest potential.
7. Offers stretch assignments; creates actionable development plans; encourages learning from setbacks and for future development.
8. Actively supports and participates in succession planning initiatives; identifies high potentials and prepares them for possible future leadership opportunities within Excela Health.
9. Takes responsibility for own professional growth and development; attends required EHA leadership programs; networks with colleagues to seek out best practices
10. Introductory, transfer and periodic appraisals are required to be completed timely adhering to performance management guidelines. All Performance Management (introductory, transfer and periodic appraisals) must be completed in a designated electronic format.
6. GROWTH AND MARGIN:
a. Financial Decision Making
Inventory, waste, occupancy, expenses, revenue, budgeting
1. Considers financial impact of decisions; uses financial concepts for decision making; monitors financial performance.
2. Develops and manages department budget at or below budget expectations and consistent with adjusted volume variations.
3. Identifies and implements revenue enhancement opportunities.
4. Seeks opportunities to reduce operating costs while balancing quality resources.
5. Submits timely variance reports that display knowledge of expenses and demonstrates continual plans to reduce variances; operates each year more effectively than one before.
6. Stretches capital resources by extending life of existing assets.
7. Coordinates the selection of vendors through established internal procurement procedures in an effort to drive down supplier costs while maintaining quality standards.
II. Specialty Essential Functions:
1. Implement and execute performance management programs and procedures, including but not limited to performance appraisals, performance improvement plans and job descriptions.
2. Participates in activities including contract, policy and procedure administration.
3. Develops and implements labor relation strategies and tactics. Provides day to day mediation, facilitation and guidance on bargaining unit issues including discipline, grievance resolution, arbitration, contract negotiations (Frick Campus).
4. Set direction and create action items necessary to drive employee relations activities and meet objectives with each business group assigned.
5. Leads employee recognition programs to help encourage retention and engagement initiatives.
6. Responsible to communicate and ensure understanding by associates of all federal and state laws; regulations and organizational policies; and answers questions by directors; managers; supervisors and employees. Meets Joint Commission and Department of Health requirements for Human Resources.
7. Analyzes, measures and aligns HR metrics, i.e., turnover, retirements, generations served, employee engagement, education, retention initiatives and performance evaluation programs.
8. Utilize and ensure HRIS system is optimized to full potential of capability to support initiatives and accurate reporting.
9. Implement and execute proactive positive employee relation’s initiatives, respond to union organizing activities.
10. Administer work rules and monitor their application and enforcement to ensure fairness and consistency.
11. Establish strong partnerships with key operational and clinical leaders of the system to advance all employee relations related aspects of strategic initiatives.
12. Partner with inside and outside legal counsel to respond to and defend lawsuits and complaints filed with outside agencies including unemployment.
13. Conduct needs analyses to identify and establish priorities regarding employee relations and human resource’s development activities.
14. Work through staff to ensure that all required licensure requirement are appropriately documented.
15. Plan, implement, facilitate, and continually monitor leadership and staff development programs.
16. Develop and maintain school partnerships for tuition discounts and /or deferred billing for Excela Health Employees.
17. Acts as HR point of contact for business groups assigned.
18. Promotes practices and procedures that develop and maintain diversity.
Required Education and Experience:
* Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management, Business Management or related field
• Minimum 5 years of relevant HR generalist experience with demonstrated strength in employee relations, employee communications, employment law, ADAAA, EEOC, Unemployment, bargaining experience, performance management, and conflict resolution. Three (3) years supervisory/management experience in Human Resources.
Preferred Education and Experience