We are currently searching for a Director in our Education I Science I Tech ("EST") group. The position is responsible for client development and management, and project team leadership for the pursuit and delivery of EST projects in the US Southeast. Projects include research and development facilities for academic, institutional, state and national governments, and corporate sector clients. Projects may include a variety of facilities, with a primary focus on science-based research, imaging, metrology and testing facilities in the areas of life sciences, physical sciences, biocontainment, animal research, public health, data centers, and related support facilities such as administrative offices, central utility plants, etc.
Project pursuits and assignments are largely within the defined region, but may extend beyond due to personal relationships, particular expertise, etc.
Business Development Responsibilities
Leads project teams in marketing and securing projects is required. Responsibilities include:
• Works closely with US East Region leadership core team and global subject matter experts to formulate and implement EST marketing initiatives
• Business development activities include:
o Participates in regional and office annual planning process
o Partners with regional and global leadership in developing and implementing relationship-building with target clients in the region
o Is responsible for initiating and developing own relationships with other target clients and institutions in the above described market sectors in the region
o Maintains an active and visible presence in the region, with a particular focus in the US Southeast region and targeted clients therein.
o Partners with regional and global leadership with pursuit go / no go and strategy meetings.
o Assists in the preparation of capture plans and qualifications for pursuits in the region.
o Assists in interview strategies and implementation.
o Directs fee proposal development and negotiation in partnership with Managing Principals and Regional Directors.
o In collaboration with subject matter experts, and independently when appropriate, develops abstracts and presentations at industry conferences, seminars, workshops, and other similar events promoting program messages, research, project outcomes, lessons learned, trends, etc. related to facility design.
Develops and nurtures strong relationships with multiple clients in EST market sectors, beginning with pre-positioning activities, continuing through the life of project execution and beyond for future work. Responsibilities include:
• Works with Regional Directors, Managing Principals, and Project Managers to lead / direct project teams with the preparation, negotiation and award of project contracts
• Provides client oversight throughout project execution, including conformance to client expectations for technical/quality, financial and schedule performance
• Assists with project closeout and post-occupancy evaluations
• Maintains client relations following completion of projects
• Provides leadership of concurrent projects and related multidisciplinary teams- planning, directing, coordinating, and monitoring all aspects of projects
• Provides mentorship and guidance to staff to assist in their career development
• Has overall responsibility for project team performance and project success
• Works closely with assigned Project Managers to meet client expectations, and on major projects, may serve as the Project Manager
• Works closely with the Regional Controller and Managing Principals for project financial reviews
• Bachelor's degree in Architecture or closely related field.
• Registered Architect, preferably in North Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee
• 20+ years of experience practicing as a licensed architect
• 15+ years of experience leading teams in business development and project execution
• Active participant in industry organizations
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
• Works effectively in both with teams and independently
• Highly motivated, self-starter
• Willingness to travel- nationally and internationally
• Proven business development experience in EST consulting industry.
• An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture, including commitment to quality, improvement and HDR values.
Valid Through: 2019-10-17