As part of a passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will manage Flight Sciences within the Engineering Center of Excellence (ECOE) reporting directly to the Vice President of ECOE. This Flight Sciences organization is dedicated to the science of launch and space vehicle behavior and motion in various environments and responsible for providing direct support to all business units at Blue Origin.
As Director of Flight Sciences you will manage a team of managers, along with a number of individual contributors. You will be responsible to coordinate the deployment of your team across the company and programs, adapting to the changing needs of the business units and resolving conflicts that arise from competing priorities. Additionally, you will be responsible for managing overall performance of the team including identifying and filling skill gaps; conducting performance, merit and promotion assessments; helping to advance team members careers through mentoring and the alignment of work assignments with team member goals; and ensuring the work products meet quality standards of the company.
This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Support the annual and strategic planning process including working with business unit customers to forecast the flight science demand across the company.
- Provide tools, process and resources required to meet the Flight Sciences/GNC needs in coordination with the business unit internal customers.
- Own and Manage shared Hardware-in-the-loop and Navigation laboratory spaces (demand, allocation, budget, facility planning)
- Author job descriptions and oversee the hiring process in order to meet the demands of the business unit customers within the constraints of the business. This includes both direct hire and contingent labor.
- Manage director reports including, performance reviews, facilitate career growth opportunities and manage the compensation/promotion process.
- Embody, promote, and coach the Blue Origin leadership principles and culture
- Passion for our mission: Millions of people living and working in space!
- M.S. degree in Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, Systems Engineering or equivalent.
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience managing technical teams and/or leading functional groups, with responsibility for technical quality of work delivered and career management of employee.
- 10+ years of industry experience in system formulation, development, and/or operations with technical experience in one or more of the following disciplines: Aerodynamics, Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GN&C), or Flight Operations
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.