The Director reports to and works closely with the Associate Dean for Policy Coordination. The position also reports to the University RIO and works closely with the Office of General Counsel as well as other senior School of Medicine and University leaders in this highly collaborative position.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Implements policies that address compliance in the areas of research misconduct, responsible conduct of research, and faculty professional misconduct. Develops procedures and SOPs to support these activities.
- Is responsible for carrying out all aspects of assessments, inquiries and investigations into allegations of research misconduct, including staffing inquiry and investigation committees. Supports appropriate application of institutional policies and procedures and relevant regulations in cases of alleged misconduct.
- Jointly with Associate Dean, serves as the JHU Research Integrity Officer (RIO) for the School of Medicine under delegation from the University RIO.
- Interacts with the DHHS Office of Research Integrity (ORI) and other cognizant agencies to report outcome of research integrity matters.
- Maintains records of research integrity matters and assists with preparing the annual report to ORI.
- Staffs the School of Medicine’s Standing Committee on Discipline.
- Responsible for supervising and/or implementing training and educational activities for faculty, researchers, and trainees, in the area of responsible conduct of research.
- Develops educational resources in the area of responsible conduct of research.
- Collaboratively works to ensure policies and procedures are up-to-date with regard to regulations and national standards applicable to the responsible conduct of research.
- Supervises Associate Director of Research Integrity and other staff within the office.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Required)
Advanced degree in an academic or professional field involving science, law, business or public policy.
- Five to eight years of related relevant professional experience.
- Experience in academic medical center or research university a plus.
Experience in academic medical institutional setting preferred.
Knowledge of research integrity regulations and standards strongly preferred.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Excellent critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to organize and clearly present information to varied audiences
- Ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential topics with a high degree of discretion and professionalism
- Ability to work independently, efficiently and with sound judgment at a high level
- Ability to work quickly with high accuracy, and to balance competing priorities
- Ability to communicate effectively with various levels of management
- Ability to facilitate educational training sessions
- Knowledge of research integrity regulations and standards.