The Director, Distribution Operations is responsible for operational activities of the North American Distribution facilities including factory warehouses. This position is also responsible for managing administering and complying with State or Country labor laws, corporate policies/procedures, and benefits, import regulations, and industrial standards. Responsible for all Distribution Center operations, including facility management (in close coordination with the Facilities Director), staff management, budget attainment, inventory control/analysis, shipping and receiving functions, vendor negotiations, and occupational; safety regulations.
As a member of the Supply Chain leadership team, this individual will provide strategic vision and tactical direction for Distribution, Warehouse and Logistics operations to support Enterprise demand, and will leverage for improved cost performance and influence the evolution of customer service for a competitive industry advantage. This position will partner closely across both the Company and the Customer organizations as well as with the Commercial leaders to develop, implement, maintain, and improve warehouse operations and elevate customer service performance
- Implementing strategies, objectives, and priorities; with the goal of optimizing the distribution, warehouse, logistics, and operations in terms of costs and efficiencies
- Ensuring tight linkage with the broader Operations & Supply Chain, Quality, and key customer priorities
- Identifying areas of performance opportunity and develop, simplify, and optimize warehouse and distribution programs across the enterprise
- Leveraging continuous improvement tools and industry best practices to make step function process improvements and alignment activities across the enterprise, as specifically related to warehouse and distribution optimization
- Transforming data into meaningful information and define activities that will drive improvement in warehouse/distribution operations
- Interacting effectively at all levels within the organization and influence key stakeholders.
- Providing thought leadership within the broader warehouse and SC function
- Associate is responsible to follow requirements of TMC Quality System; including but not limited to requirements for traceability of product, recognizing customer complaints and the requirement to forward information to QA, and the Quality System requirements for Distribution centers. Work closely with the Sr. Manager of Quality to ensure compliance
- Maintaining relationships, manage, and negotiate contracts (in coordination with the Director of Sourcing) with shipping carrier base.
- Preparing and managing budget for all Capital Improvement projects within each facility
- Managing and negotiating rental and lease agreements for leased facilities
- Staff Management- Through meetings and other correspondence, monitor associate conduct, behavior, work quality and continuity with co-workers. Inform and educate in areas of corporate direction and policy, customer perspectives, safety issues, and improved processes. Responsible to identify and implement development programs for the associates.
- Identifying and implementing methods that result in cost savings.
- Facility Management- Coordinating individual facility maintenance activities with the Facilities Director
- Continuous upgrades maintenance of facility to provide working conditions that are conductive to efficient operations and comply with all applicable regulations.
- Responsible for Distribution Center Managers and associates.
- Continually motivate associates to produce both quantity and quality in assigned tasks.
- Ultimately responsible for inventory, order processing, returns, quarantine and customer satisfaction based on performance of distribution function at facility.
- Participates in project performance team meetings on behalf of the job unit to provide ideas, methods, or processes for unit/company performance improvement.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- 15+ years of progressive distribution management experience
- Experience with warehouse management systems and transportation management systems
- Knowledgeable/fluent on basic Microsoft office computer systems and ERP systems
- Extensive knowledge and relationships with transportation companies
- Proven ability to do financial analysis, review and analyze existing cost data
- Demonstrated decision - making skills with ability to multitask.
- Excellent communication and influence skills across functions and levels.
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with demonstrated leadership capabilities
- Education & experience
- Bachelor's degree in business, logistics, supply chain or related field or commensurate experience
- Master's Degree in business, logistics, supply chain or related field preferred
- APICS/CLTD certification preferred
- Ten years or more of logistics/supply chain experience in a multi-plant/warehouse environment
- Ten years or more of demonstrated experience developing and implementing complete logistics solutions and project management skills
- Five years or more of P&L experience including forecasting and managing financial targets
- Ten years or more of supervisory experience
- Five years or more of experience implementing within a LEAN work environment preferred