Ciena may well be the most important technology company you’ve never heard of. The innovations that wow us (driverless cars), and those we now take for granted (the ability to mobile-stream your favorite show) are the products of ingenuity from some brilliant and forward-thinking companies. But those companies rely on Ciena, another vanguard of innovation, to create and advance the underlying networks that bring their breakthroughs to our doorsteps. VR, AI, IOT, 5G … literally none of it would be possible without the mind-boggling technology that makes the internet itself work. For more than 25 years, Ciena has been the global leader in networking strategy, and our technology has been part of the critical infrastructure running within the most advanced companies in the world.
This position, is responsible for leading Ciena’s global distribution operations. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing effective distribution strategies to enhance Ciena’s go-to market strategy as well as develop robust and cost-efficient delivery models. This role requires the ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with sales, outsourced partners, and requires the ability to lead and influence at all levels in the organization.
The position will require significant transformational capability, as the company continues to make investments in the Supply Chain model to drive improved cost, consistent service, greater quality and an overall improved customer experience. This role is instrumental in the delivery of Ciena’s revenue plan.
** List hire can be based remote in the United States
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides overall leadership and direction to the distribution operations to ensure efficient execution at our distribution partner(s) site.
- Responsible for setting distribution objectives, operating targets, and key performance metrics for service and quality. Includes monitoring and guiding a partner management team of professionals who manage distributing product on behalf of Ciena.
- Will lead Ciena through distribution transformation projects and be relied upon to deliver continuous improvement and cost reduction initiatives working with Ciena’s distribution partners.
- Responsible for developing and executing a global comprehensive distribution strategic plan which will drive optimal customer experience and profitability.
- Responsible for all warehousing and inventory control tasks associated with moving products inbound and outbound to Ciena’s suppliers, customers and Ciena locations worldwide
- Establish and monitor risk management plans (continuity business planning).
- Strategic Focus - Challenges current practices and ways of thinking about distribution, warehouse management and service operations. Ability to develop a clear vision of what the organization needs to become in line with corporate and division/functional objectives, leading to process and structural improvements that enable achievement of key financial and service objectives. Track record of transformational execution and change management.
- Global Perspective – Successfully works across functional and cross cultural global boundaries.
- Functional Excellence - Understands the latest concepts and techniques in distribution warehouse management, process analysis, and inventory management.
- Clear Communications Skills - Articulates orally and in writing a clear picture of where the organization is going from a distribution/fulfillment perspective.
- Personal Leadership - Has excellent interpersonal and influencing skills to build strong relationships to overcome resistance to change.
- Results Driven - Establishes a climate of urgency focused on delivering results. Meets deadlines within the given budget.
- Systems - Clear understanding of warehouse management systems and the interaction with ERP systems (Oracle preferred).
- Progressive operational experience in a product distribution and operations environment with over $3 Billion in gross sales.
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong analytical and financial skills
- Strong process orientation
- Proven track record of managing an organization
- Proven track regard of transformational efforts
- Ability to interface effectively with senior management team and a broad range of operations employees
- Strong supply chain knowledge of EMS industry
- Strong written, verbal, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Ability to build an organization from ground up
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in supply chain, materials management, distribution, logistics in a high-tech industry.
- BS/BA is Supply Chain, Engineering, or related field.