Job ID R-303951
Job Description Summary
Position: Director, DS Commercial Capital Contracting
US Region Commercial Operations
What U.S. Commercial Operations contributes to BD
The mission of the US Commercial Operations Center of Excellence (CoE) is to enable commercial strategy and drive profitable sales growth, by exceeding customer needs and improving the customer experience in the areas of Contracting, Sales Operations & Analytics and Sales Tool Enablement supported by exceptional Customer Master Data Management and Operational Excellence.
This will be accomplished by standardizing, automating and integrating (CoE approach) as one company, driving data integrity and remaining agile to the evolving needs of customers and BD’s US Go-to-Market strategies.
The Commercial Operations CoE team embraces industry leading capabilities, develops our talent and competencies, holds ourselves accountable to strong performance and operates by the highest values and culture of the company.
Accountabilities in this role
Reporting to the Sr. Director, US Region Commercial Contracting, this leadership position directs a team accountable for all Commercial Capital Contract Lifecycle aspects of the BD Diagnostic Systems (DS) US business. This position is a member of the US Region Commercial Contracting Leadership team, US Commercial Operations Extended Leadership Team, and will also have a matrix collaboration with the DS US Sales, Service and Marketing functions and accordingly sit on the DS US leadership team.
This role will be responsible for developing and driving a transformational Contracting capability and strategy focused on best practices, skilled negotiation, continuous improvement and tools to support highly technical and automated diagnostic instruments, customer solutions and services. Will act as a Continuous Improvement leader to develop a vision, timeline and corresponding project plan(s) to establish and achieve best in class service metrics and an optimal customer experience.
Working in partnership within the US Commercial Operations team and the DS US Sales, Marketing and Service organizations, Strategic Customer Group (SCG) and cross functional business partners such as Finance and Legal, this leader will drive organizational effectiveness through best in class customer contract offer development and execution capabilities and also establish policy, process and governance to ensure the effective implementation of complex, critical contract activities while managing business opportunities and risk appropriately.
- This Sparks, MD-based position directly manages a minimum of 2-3 leaders with an overall organization of ~20 associates, with primary US Region accountability.
- Oversee complex commercial contracting lifecycle activities for the Diagnostic Systems portfolio including quote/deal generation and approval, customer contract negotiation through signature and all operational execution aspects of price management, order initiation and chargeback resolution activities with distributor partners. Scope includes all Commercial Capital Sales and Service Contracts, RFPs and Master Agreements for healthcare facilities including hospitals and regional healthcarenetworks (e.g., IDN), reference labs, non-acute facilities, etc.
- Act as an executive business partner, working in collaboration with US Commercial Operations and the DS US Sales, Marketing and Service teams to develop strategy and corresponding key initiatives for the DS US Commercial Contracting organization in support of business strategy and customer requirements, ensuring policy and legal requirements and met.
- Continually develop an agile, nimble organization viewed as a key internal business partner, with high quality, responsive service, strong negotiation competencies and value add to drive revenue growth.
- Drive continuous improvement of contracting processes and procedures with established KPIs and Service Level expectations associated with cycle time, quality and customer satisfaction.
- Working with the DS US Commercial team, collaborate on the development of compelling strategic contracting offers and structures which optimize competitiveness and alignment with business objectives.
- Define, administer, and enforce policies, procedures, and processes with appropriate flexibility to meet customer/market needs and dynamics. Ensure that risk is mitigated and regulations are appropriately addressed consistently across all business offerings.
- Direct salescontract “pre-deal” customer offer development activities including quote/deal generation and approval, contract provision drafting/redlining, negotiation and execution. Direct team to enable effective negotiation of Standard and Non Standard Agreements, ensuring provision consistency, efficiency and mitigation of legal and regulatory risks. Partner with Legal to develop provisions related to emerging technologies and unique customer requirements.
- Work with Finance and Commercial leaders to ensure pricing and deal profitability adhere to set pricing strategies and approvals, based on established decision rights and initiated directly from the opportunity funnel. Drive a defined contract review/approval workflow process, ensuring appropriate process is in place and enforced, liaising with Business/Legal as needed.
- Oversee activities supporting “post-deal” customer contract lifecycle execution including price activation and notifications (with channel partners where applicable), initiation of customer instrument orders, distributor chargeback resolution, annual price increases and customer/sales inquiries.
- Collaborate closely with CI, IT and supporting operations teams to drive operational efficiencies and optimization/automation of processes and tools. Ensure technology platforms (SFDC, CPQ, etc.) functionality and performance appropriately support commercial contract activities.
- Work across other US Commercial Contracting organizations to develop functional strategy, drive enterprise-wide terms harmonization/consistency and a design a long-term technical roadmap.
- Understand emerging healthcare industry trends and assess their potential impact on contracting and negotiation strategies. Continuously benchmark processes within and outside of the organization with a focus on forward looking market trends and emerging customer needs.
- Establish cost center budgets and monitor against annual budget and quarterly projections.
- Directly manage a minimum of 2-3 leaders with an overall organization of ~20 associates. Oversee selection and talent development, with defined strategies including the provision of clear career paths and development opportunities. As a leader, inspire and empower the organization to act with speed, agility and accountability with ability to adapt to change.
- BA/BS required; MBA highly desirable.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in a leadership position directing an organization with matrix accountability.
- 8+ years demonstrated contracting experience and mastery leading teams, strong understanding of business strategy, continuous improvement, finance and operations. Development of key relationships with Legal counsel, General Management, Finance, Regulatory, Compliance, Risk Management and Sales Executive Leadership.
- Strategic and analytical problem solver with business acumen. Able to evaluate key business drivers and develop clear strategic recommendations.
- Proven ability to quickly establish credibility, trust, and support within all levels of organization
- Demonstrated capability to navigate and collaborate effectively across business and matrix and cross-functional leadership and organizational structures.
- Strong understanding of US Antitrust laws, HIPAA, Sarbanes Oxley and ISO audit requirements.
- Demonstrated experience driving operational Continuous Improvement, with a proven track record of accomplishments. Ability to lead cross functional projects in an agile, measured manner, holding team members accountable.
- Deep understanding of capital contract management, including contract strategy development, financial deal structures, negotiation, policy development and standardization of general terms with Capital and Consumables products and services.
- Demonstrated expertise of post-signature capital contract operational processes, including pricing, chargebacks and capital order initiation.
- Ability to partner with Sales Leaders and General Management to develop contract offerings representing complex concepts and defining the business value of solutions in a clear, understandable way. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in negotiating complex, strategic contract terms; negotiation savviness.
- General understanding of federal, state and local government contracting requirements and practices preferred.
- Demonstrated background in effectively managing people and fostering career development; successor and bench strength development; proven coaching, mentoring and leadership skills.
- Ability to build and motivate a team to achieve well communicated expectations. Strong communication, interpersonal and change management experience.
- Ability to travel ~25-30%
- Organizational Agility
- Business Acumen
- Process Effectiveness
- Strategic Thinker
- Customer Focus
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Leadership Courage
- Talent Development