Director, Design and Construction Management
The Howard Hughes name is synonymous with entrepreneurial vision, tenacity and a pioneering spirit—values still embodied by The Howard Hughes Corporation today. While Hughes’ passion for aviation and the silver screen are legendary, it was his investment in real estate that forms the bedrock of the company. At the core of our DNA, we believe we can Make Life Extraordinary. We strive to embody these same qualities with every individual our company touches, from stakeholders to partners, from consumer to shareholder.
We believe in “Thinking Big” at The Howard Hughes Corporation. We demand excellence and an unrelenting dedication to success. Our mission is to be the pre-eminent developer and operator of master planned communities and mixed-use properties in the United States. We create timeless places and memorable experiences that inspire people while driving sustainable, long-term growth and value. We create environments where people want to live, work, shop, dine and play from coast to coast.
Under the supervision of the Senior Vice President, Design & Construction Management, the Director provides leadership and oversight of the day-to-day operations for Project Management and Administration activities associated with the development of the assigned project. The Director must be able to perform hands-on management of project planning, design and construction in a fast-paced environment. The Director must be able to demonstrate the ability to prioritize multiple tasks and demands, as well as supervise a highly skilled team of construction managers, design professionals and consultants. Responsibilities further consist of managing various sizes and volumes of projects from pre-construction planning through build out and space occupancy phases including project closeout with financial reconciliation.
The Director must also have the experience and ability to lead a large scale, ground-up development and construction projects from inception through construction and final move-in. A minimum of ten (10) years’ of construction or design experience managing ground-up projects. He/she must have executive leadership ability to work across the entire company and facilitate cross-functional coordination.
This individual will serve as the primary stakeholder for each assigned project and the single point of contact for coordinating design and construction responsibilities with third party consultants, contractors, vendors and government agencies. This individual will act as a liaison between internal cross-functional technical teams and corporate leadership team. In addition to managing the day-to-day operations of the project, the Director is primarily responsible for overseeing and maintaining project cost analysis, budget and construction schedules with forecasting and analysis of issues that may impact the department’s goals and objectives.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review, analyze and challenge CM’s preliminary construction budgets and schedules.
- Participate and lead all project consultation meetings.
- Create RFP’s for consultant and sub-consultant selection, as well as negotiate the scope and business terms of the agreement.
- Work with the design team to achieve timely completion of coordinated documents that meet the respective design milestone parameters for each stage of the design.
- Review all phases of the Construction Documents (“CDs”) for completeness, compliance with design milestone requirements and constructability assumptions.
- Evaluate CM, subcontractor and third party construction cost estimates.
- Assist in tracking LEED Certification requirements.
- Evaluate and manage procurement of long lead items in accordance with the CM schedule.
- Review CM’s site logistics and overall construction sequencing and planning in regards to cost, schedule, regulatory and safety factors (in order to identify and mitigate adverse impact on the site and surrounding uses).
- Write monthly construction status reports to be used by the SVP and VP, Design and Construction Management for executive reporting purposes.
- Work closely with the Legal team to develop scopes and negotiate business terms for all CM and design consultant agreements.
- Work with the CM, design consultants and trade subcontractors to finalize unresolved design issues.
- Review, analyze and challenge CM’s detailed construction budgets and schedules.
- Review CM’s site logistics and overall construction sequencing and planning in regards to cost and schedule.
- Manage the selection and procurement of necessary third party consultant services for surveying, special inspections, materials and soils testing, etc. Assist in negotiating the terms and conditions of all resulting agreements and assemble contracts with the Legal team, as required.
- Attend and document all owner, architect, and/or contractor meetings.
- Establish and maintain comprehensive systems for construction document control.
- Establish project tracking logs – including those required for RFIs, ASIs, CCDs, design clarifications, material submittals, change orders, Certificates of Insurance, etc. Ensure timely processing and response for all time sensitive project documentation.
- Monitor, and where necessary, assist in the coordination of on-site activity – including, but not limited to: demolition, utilities installation, general site work, temporary installations and power, vertical construction, exterior and interior renovations and finish work, telecom and/or data coordination, MEP and technology systems commissioning, OFCI installation, FF&E installation and punch list corrections.
- Monitor progress relative to the CM’s CPM Project Schedule. Review monthly updates to ensure coherent sequencing and/or logic, and compliance with contractual milestone requirements. Where necessary, obtain recovery schedules – including sequence and/or logic modifications, to address areas of critical path impact. Proactively identify and mitigate areas of potential owner, CM, and/or subcontractor caused impact.
- Schedule and coordinate all third party inspections required for projects.
- Closely monitor CM’s QC/QA programs to ensure the execution of the Work is in compliance with project quality standards, as well as regulatory and contract requirements. On Residential projects, work with the CM to ensure completion of an early model unit in the Sales Center, and as otherwise needed, to establish Project quality standards.
- Review and make payment recommendations on all consultant and CM payment applications and/or invoices. Periodically, update cash flow projections based on actual construction progress.
- Review CM change order requests for both entitlement and pricing. Assist in negotiating final CO amounts.
- Construct and maintain a Budget Status Report, therein tracking the status of all contracts and P.O.s – including committed and JTD costs. This report will include bridges that establish an audit trail from the original Development Budget to any subsequent budget update through closeout.
- Monitor and update the Project FF&E budget. Coordinate procurement, consolidation, shipment, delivery and installation of Project FF&E.
- Assemble monthly project reports for the Project – including the following components:
- Executive Summary
- Budget Status and/or Forecast
- Investment and Contingency Bridges
- Opportunities and Risks Summary
- Project Schedule Status
- Construction Progress Photos
- Review and monitor RFI submissions, and ensure prompt consultant turnaround of responses.
- Review and manage CM submittals to ensure compliance with plans, specifications and overall contract requirements.
- Review proposed substitutions and/or value engineering to ensure that the implementation of such proposals does not adversely affect the Project’s quality standards.
- Manage required Operations staff training, systems commissioning and turnover of the Property to Operations.
- Manage the closeout of the Project – including final resolution of all punch list work, finalize outstanding contract change orders, obtain final lien releases, review O&M/warranty documentation with Operations and process disbursement of retained funds.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Must have minimum ten (10) years of construction project management experience.
- Must have experience leading large scale mixed-use and/or residential high-rise construction projects.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and experience in managing a team of technical staff.
- Must be proficient in understanding design development, construction documents and MEP engineering specifications.
- Capable of managing multi-million dollar complex construction projects.
- Must have in-depth understanding and knowledge of industry standard construction process – including scheduling, standard cost estimating tools, building materials, construction methodologies and Agency approvals in New York City.
- Must have the ability to work in a team environment while leading the Project team from conceptual design through completion of multiple projects.
- Passionate, entrepreneurial and dedicated to success.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES:
- Bachelor degree in Construction Management, Architecture and/or Engineering preferred