The Director of database engineering has primary responsibility for managing the day-to-day operations of the database development team and the database administration team that is responsible for setting the database strategy and delivering a scalable and reliable data platform that supports Esurance's Digital Platform and Applications. S/he will provide leadership for the design and implementation of databases in Esurance global high availability and high performance environments.
- Define, Articulate and Execute database strategies to provide secure, highly available, scalable database services that improve overall resiliency, functionality, and enable operational management optimization.
- Provides leadership for the design, development, and deployment of these database services.
- Develop, communicate, and execute a vision for meeting stakeholder's needs. The vision must identify and create distinct competitive advantages for the Company through the strategic use of data.
- Define and take ownership for the data models across all applications, collaborating closely with Engineering on a Universal Access Layer for applications to access databases.
- Ability to draw from his/her deep and broad technical expertise to design new software systems at the cutting edge of distributed database technology, and deliver large scale systems that will have an impact on revenue growth on our business and competitive position.
- Responsible for the employment, promotion, development, support of the database development team.
- Establish the communication and relationships with key stakeholders in order to keep current with the direction of the business and the needs of internal customers.
- Establish and maintain excellent inter-department communication so that roles, requirements, dependencies, decisions, and work processes are clearly articulated and understood.
- Work closely with the engineering teams to train them on the best practices around data architecture practices which would be done using a mix of formal and informal methods.
- Proven ability to develop architecture and provide design oversight that incorporates high availability, operations supportability and scalability to a high volume, rapidly growing world class Ecommerce business.
- Direct experience in leading the database administration teams for large-scale enterprise that are highly scalable and reliable.
- Technical leadership in design, implementation and support of the core database services that are highly reliable, flexible, scalable and cost effective.
- Establish proper monitoring, measuring and reporting of service performance against Service Level Objectives, customer satisfaction and financial efficiencies.
- Manage risks, assessing gaps/opportunities, and implementing action plans to mitigate risks, when applicable.
- Build a high performing team through staff development, recruiting and retention that can support Esurance growing business needs.
- Ability to establish and articulate a vision, set goals, develops and executes strategies, and track and measure results.
- Ability to build and motivate a team to achieve well communicated expectations.
- Significant skill required to work effectively across internal functional areas in situations where clear parameters may not exist.
- Masters in Computer Science or equivalent with 12 years of relevant database development and engineering management experience.
- Experience to collaborate with engineering teams to optimize data models and Java application code together.
- Experience in data best practices and processes for data architecture in collaboration with Product Management, Engineering and Operations.
- Experience in defining standards and conventions and evangelize their application across the technology organization.
- Experience in hosting brown bags, training sessions, and other forums to train engineering teams around good data architecture practices.
- Experience with MS SQL Server and also Oracle, MongoDB and Cassandra running on Linux
- Experience with Private and Public cloud setup preferably using AWS, open source technologies and automation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.