eBay is looking for a strong technical leader for their analytics data engineering team. The successful candidate will have experience implementing processes and services in analytics environments rather than just operating them. The Global Head of DSS will think and act big, exercising a bias for action coupled with a thoughtful architectural approach. S/he balances creativity and intuition with analytical rigor and agility, and demonstrates continuous process improvement and operational discipline. This leader is an idea generator, is a skilled relationship-builder, and has a strong sense of accountability and ownership. Finally, the successful candidate will be excited by the unique opportunity and scale that eBay presents in the data space, and be a change agent, which is managing with an eye towards the future state.
Additional Traits / Experience:
- Graduate degree in computer science or closely related field
- Very solid understanding of computer science and data processing and management fundamentals
- Experience implementing data analytics systems, such as Hadoop, MPP, streaming and graph solutions
- Deep understanding of relational databases and extract-transform-load (ETL/ELT/ETLT) patterns
- Plan and manage global resource budgets
- Manage vendor relationships and represent eBay on strategic partnerships within the data and analytics domain
- Drives operational and engineering excellence into all facets of data engineering
- Experience with high-availability operations
- Familiarity with privacy and security controls in analytics environments, with a strong background in supporting subject area ownership and governance
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
- Management Excellence: Oversee the development and optimization of complex data and analytics platform processes, supporting hundreds of petabytes of integrated data, tens of millions of queries per day, thousands of internal and external sources, and hundreds of thousands of jobs orchestrated through an abstract data processing platform
- Driving Results: Sets dramatic, compelling goals and aggressive schedules for improvement. Pursues long-term goals while delivering positive growth in the short-term. Translates the vision of the organization into actionable, quantitative plans. Conveys a sense of urgency, drives issues to closure, and relentlessly executes.
- Strategic and Analytical Thinking: Can take a long-term view of the opportunity beyond the tactical and assess disparate data streams and distill them into meaningful and, ultimately, actionable strategic recommendations. Translates data into focused insights and strategies. Poses questions that provoke different thinking about the business. Quickly sees hidden value and how to unlock it. Navigates confidently in ambiguous situations. Makes rapid course corrections when business conditions change; cuts losing initiatives. Able to "deep dive" into the details of the business while staying focused on the big picture and not suffering from "analysis paralysis."
- Influencing & Communication Skills: Highly articulate and has excellent verbal, presentation and written communication skills. Well-honed influencing skills that will enable him/her to persuade minds, handle conflict and get things done across organizations and external partners. Low ego, confident and comfortable working in a collaborative environment. Takes the time to assess "how things are done here" before making changes. Excellent listening and cognitive skills and the ability to influence and drive dialogue by building "buy-in" across the organization on topics related to the consumer, the market, and business strategy. Able to interact effectively across all functions and leverages relationships to move the agenda forward.
- Managing Teams and Performance: Translates overarching business goals into specific objectives for each member of the team. Holds people accountable for agreed-to results. Identifies and keeps others focused on the most important metrics that drive the business. Follows through on commitments despite difficulties or complications. Proven ability to hire and manage strong teams, and to provide appropriate leadership, structure, coaching, training and development.
- eBay Culture Fit: Entrepreneurial, proactive and productive; "rolls up sleeves" and gets things done. Strategic, insightful, with strong problem-solving skills with a practical "real-world" sense of what is actually do-able. Exceptional internal and external collaboration & partnership skills. A brand ambassador – must be a champion of the brand.