Teradata has a great opportunity for a data science enthusiast with a discovery mindset to join Artificial Intelligence and Data Science organization. Teradata is seeking an experienced data scientist to lead a team of data scientists and data engineers in the product development group. The Director of Data Science will manage the data science team, ensuring proper execution of functions within the department. He/She will lead the department's engagement with business stakeholders and executives and partners with these stakeholders and executives in enhancing the existing data management methodologies and developing new approaches and methodologies. He/she with the team of data scientists and data engineers will work collaboratively to extract value from large datasets using database processing, statistics, and advanced machine learning techniques. This role will leverage advanced data-science tools to explore and analyze datasets, construct models, ascertain their performance, and place them in production.
- Leadership/Supervisory Role: The primary role of the Director of Data Science is heading the data science organization within Artificial Intelligence and Data Science organization. In this position, he/she is responsible for developing the data science vision and overseeing its adoption among data scientists and data engineers. The Director of Data Science oversees the data science group's training and competency development, determining best practices and work standards. He/she additionally leads the department in the development of new insights, advanced modeling techniques, and data science capabilities. In his leadership capacity, the Director of Data Science with his team, is also responsible for the preparation of white papers, conference presentations, and scientific publications.
- Collaboration:The Director of Data Science is also a collaborative one and in this position, he/she partners with senior business executives and key stakeholders in creating the data science roadmap to improve the overall business performance. The Director of Data Science will collaborate with data science team members to evaluate models and datasets. The Director of Data Science partners with other non-technical departments within the business assisting them in understanding how data science can benefit them and improve their effectiveness and performance.
- Analytics:The Director of Data Science will play an analytical role where he/she will be responsible for the evaluation of analytics and machine learning technologies in use in the business. The Director of Data Science communicates the findings to key stakeholders through reports and presentations with whom he/she makes any necessary changes. It is also the role of the Director of Data Science to design and architect data processing pipelines for the department. He/she will construct prototype large-scale models through a comprehensive data-science workflow—from data acquisition and preparation to model training and performance evaluation, to manage models in production. In this analytical position, the Director of Data Science further drives the collection of new data as well as the refinement of existing business data sources. He/she drives exploration of datasets and development and deployment of models in accordance to business priorities.
- Knowledge:The Director of Data Science takes initiative and stays up to date with the latest data science trends, techniques, and best practices, determining how to incorporate the most suitable practices in the department. He/she with the team of data scientists and data engineers will conduct comparative analysis of data-science technologies.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree (PhD preferred) in Statistics, Machine Learning, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, or any other related quantitative field. An equivalent of the same in working experience is also acceptable for the position
- Experience in scalable data science and analytics, including model building, data cleansing, visualization, machine learning algorithms.
- Practical in-depth experience with developing scalable, big data models
- 5+ years of experience writing Python, R, SQL, C, C++ code related to data analysis and data science
- Experience with Data/Science Engineering, Software development, Machine Learning, statistics, Linux systems, GitHub, JIRA
- Experience at managing deliverables and milestones that meet business needs
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to influence
- 5+ years of people management experience
Desired Skills and Education
5 years of combined technical big data and data science experience is required. This role also requires a demonstrated ability to successfully extract business value from complex data from modeling, excellent communication skills, a willingness to perform data science tasks, and provide guidance to individuals and teams, and can present ideas and results to industry audiences at multiple levels and in multiple forums.