We have a fast-paced environment and that is what our teams thrive on. Grubhub believes in empowering people and offering opportunities for development, as well as professional growth. We value strong, positive relationships in all areas: with each other, our customers and our greater community. Want to be a part of a team of diverse collaborators in an authentically fun culture? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
The Impact You Will Make
- As a part of Retention leadership, you will lead the team that develops models and triggered programs that deliver relevant offers to our hungry diners. The systems you’ll build will affect grubhub.com and offsite experience (email, push notifications, display and social ads).
- We believe in personalization - finding the most relevant offer for each of our diners, across a diverse set of options. This means solving complex, large-scale problems using Spark and Python. You and your team will build models that will meaningfully affect our marketing spend, and impact millions of our customers.
- Retention area is just getting started: your work will be able to move the needle. You will present your team’s work to the CEO of Grubhub - and he will expect your team to meaningfully move the bottom line for the entire company!
- Explore diverse data sets of large volumes to develop models which help drive complex, real time data driven products with real world impact.
- Using sound scientific principles in analysis, model training, testing and validation of the data models to create precise, high performing and reliable models to be used in our marketing.
- Using software principles to write functional, scalable, tested and clean deployable code, during the implementation stage of algorithms.
- Lead and mentor the Agile team of data scientists. Help solve challenging problems with problem formulation, prioritization, exploration and implementation.
- Collaborate and work closely with Engineering, Product and Design to create high quality reliable, consumer-facing products.
What You Bring to the Table
- 10+ years of experience using the below skills
- 2+ years of people management experience. Working knowledge of running an agile prioritization process and daily standups.
- Masters degree in quantitative discipline, or a Bachelor's degree with significant work experience.
- Strong Machine Learning and Statistics track record and expertise on Regression Methods, Classification Methods, Clustering, Neural Networks, Unsupervised Learning Methods, Etc.
- Experience working on Anomaly Detection, User Rating Calculation,Time Series Forecasting, Etc.
- In depth understanding of Experiment design - control vs variations, factorial experiment design, multivariate experiments, simple random sampling vs. stratified, etc.
- Software engineering - Our team pushes very hard to scale through automation. Advanced Python and Spark Skills are essential to perform your daily tasks.
- Strong cross-functional communication skills - The algorithms we develop are central to how the business runs. So it's critical for you to understand the drivers of our business very deeply, and to be able to explain your approach to a wide variety of both technical and non-technical stakeholders and take input from them where appropriate.
- SQL experience - Experience in transactional and data warehouse environments using MySQL, Hive, or other database systems. Must deeply understand joins, subqueries, window functions, etc.
- Humility - Admit when you’re wrong and make a mistake, then let’s laugh about it.
Got These? Even Better:
- Working knowledge of Scala or interest to pick up new programming languages.
- Good understanding of data structures and computational complexity.
- You know how to sell an idea to a group of people.
- Predictive Analytics- Clustering, regression, neural networks, etc.
- Blog/portfolio/Github links