Cars.com is seeking a Director of Data Science to provide inspiring leadership, vision and oversight to the data science team.
This is a key leadership role within Cars.com and will be accountable for developing team members, maintaining a terrific culture and ensuring high levels of engagement, while bringing innovative thought leadership in data science.
- This seasoned leader has built and motivated teams in non-hierarchical settings, s/he needs to have demonstrated hands-on leadership style with exceptional influencing skills.
- You will set clear expectations, motivate, provide coaching & mentorship to multiple data science and software engineering teams.
- Being a leader, you will not only guide your team(s), but help shape the organization, providing guidance to business and technical leadership at multiple levels of the organization.
- Provide thought leadership and present data science solutions with the appropriate business context to internal stakeholders.
- Effectively coordinate communications between/among cross-functional teams and resolve conflict.
- Demonstrate expert level skills in collaboration with different stakeholders, while influencing decisions and taking strategic views on issues.
- You care about your work and will do pretty much anything to bring structure and fun to the teams you lead.
- Own the evolution of data science roadmap and manage major initiatives and milestones around modeling for various areas such as Product, Sales and Marketing. This will involve cross functional team collaboration, resource allocation, development, and production model deployment.
- Architect and deliver an enterprise data science strategy that results in availability of high quality predictions that satisfies requirements and priorities to achieve business goals
- Build a team culture that values quality, robustness, and scalability of our data science approach while fostering initiative and innovation
- Participate in external data science meetups and events to promote Cars.com brand as a great place to work.
- Publish in conferences, write data blogs and engage the data science community to improve visibility of Data Science work at Cars.com
- A deep understanding of software and data science development, data science methodologies and scheduling
- A track record of shipping high quality models on time
- Advanced degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Econometrics, or related field
- 8+ years of experience in analyzing large data sets to drive significant business decisions
- 5+ years of proven leadership experience, hiring, coaching, developing and engaging data scientists or engineers
- Strong statistical background, especially in experimentation and modelling
- Proficiency in a statistics tool like R, Python or Julia and Big Data tools (Hive, Spark, Presto)
- Exceptional presentation skills and ability to communicate methodologies, results clearly and concisely to company's top executives
- Lead strategic analyses to understand customer behavior and develop business success metrics
- Strong interpersonal skills to work with cross-functional teams
- Ability to drive research projects