The Director, Data Governance and Management will lead and manage all organization-wide data governance activities and will have responsibility for improving the quality and managing the protection of sensitive data and information assets. The position will focus on establishing and ensuring adherence to an enterprise data governance framework for data policies, standards and practices, both at the department and Business and Functional areas level, to achieve the required level of consistency, quality and protection to meet overall business needs.
This position serves as a point of escalation for governance, data quality and protection issues and will work closely with Business and Functional area leadership to improve the quality and value of core data assets, respond to regulatory protection requirements as well as support the strategic requirements of the department.
Framework General Profile and Scope:
- Provides leadership and direction through managers.
- Accountable for the performance and results of related disciplines/departments, using broad industry awareness to identify improvements where necessary.
- Executes functional business plans and contributes to development of functional strategy.
- Decisions are guided by functional strategy and priorities.
- Establish and govern an enterprise data governance implementation roadmap including strategic priorities for development of information-based capabilities.
- Roll out an enterprise wide data governance framework, with a focus on improvement of data quality and the protection of sensitive data through modifications to organization behavior policies and standards, principles, governance metrics, processes, related tools and data architecture.
- Define roles and responsibilities related to data governance and ensure clear accountability for stewardship of the company's principal data assets.
- Serve as a liaison between Business and Functional areas and technology to ensure that data related business requirements for protecting sensitive data are clearly defined, communicated and well understood and considered as part of operational prioritization and planning.
- Develop & maintain inventory of the enterprise information maps, including authoritative systems, owners.
- Facilitate the development and implementation of data quality standards, data protection standards and adoption requirements across the enterprise.
- Define indicators of performance and quality metrics and ensure compliance with data related policies, standards, roles and responsibilities, and adoption requirements.
- Lead Senior Management, comprising resources from the Business and Functional areas and IT business and operations functions, to achieve their objectives; resolve issues escalated from Business and Functional areas data governance representatives.
- Identify new business opportunities pertaining to the use of information assets to achieve efficiency and effectiveness in the marketplace / represent data as a strategic business asset to Senior Management.
- Bachelor's in Engineering, Information Technology, Business Administration or related field or equivalent related professional work experience. Masters degree preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in data governance, data stewardship, data analysis preferably with experience in a major services organization with large-scale data or project management and data oversight experience.
- 4+ years leading information technology teams/organizations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; proven ability to communicate with C-level executives and core technology teams through reports, meetings, news bulletins and memos.
- Knowledge of Data Quality, Metadata, Lineage and MDM with experience in financial services is preferred.
- Ability to develop and lead the teams of data stewards towards a common goal
- Partner effectively with Technology and Business functions is critical.
- Self-starter, with a passion for data quality and motivated to navigate across very broad financial services products will be key success factor.