Ascend Learning is seeking a motivated, energetic individual with strong data technology experience as well as good communication and leadership skills for the position of Director of Data Engineering in our Leawood, KS or Denver, CO offices.
Are you interested in joining a team delivering online education backed by data and analytics systems? Want to work with leading edge data technologies to positively change the lives of our learners? Our team consists of talented data technologists. Together we are developing software products to help students learn the right thing for them at the right time.
Lead a team of data engineers, business analysts, and scrum masters. Also act as a mentor for the team, with background in development, engineering management and operations. In addition to data systems and framework, successful candidates are versed in related technologies including web and application servers, distributed logging, enterprise message busses, search indexing systems and enterprise security systems
- Lead a team of data engineers, business analysts, and scrum masters, reporting to the VP of Data and Analytics.
- Build and maintain data infrastructure to support data and analytics, including quality, governance, lifecycle management, and compliance
- Create processes frameworks, design and implementation of large-scale data migration and data processing on Snowflake, Confluent, Spark, and related platforms using parallel processing programming techniques
- Provide strategic direction, evaluation and recommendation of data and analytics products
- Mentor junior members of the data and analytics teams
- Work with the DBAs, Information Security, Network, and Operations teams to design and implement new business initiatives as related to data and analytics.
- Works independently with minimal direction
- Builds trust and works collaboratively with all levels of the organization, including staff, business stakeholders, and senior executives
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with all levels of users and with management
- Strong influencing, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Technology
- 5-7 years of strong system design/development experience in building large scale distributed systems and products.
- 3 to 5 years of good experience in working with so called big data technologies like Kafka, Snowflake, Spark, stream processing, StreamSets, and NoSQL.
- Troubleshooting: The candidate must be able to engage in solving complex problems. Programming problems and patterns are good examples.
- Databases: Advanced SQL knowledge a must.
- Experience creating data visualizations with tools like Power BI, Tableau or custom e.g. D3, HTML5
- Linux/Unix and system administration: Advanced Linux knowledge is a must. Understanding of shell, debugging things etc. The candidate should be able to get their way around Linux and get things to work.
- Networking and Hardware: Advanced networking and hardware knowledge required.
- Programming: Strong in a JVM-based programming language. Java or Scala would be preferable. If not one of these two, the candidate must have a good handle on the language and display the ability to pick up Java or Scala. Experience on programming infrastructure management or automation tools is required.
- Big picture / High-level architecture: The candidate must be able to think at a high level about the overall systems and goals of the projects.
Nice to Have Skills:
- Background in ETL. Practical experience dealing with large ETL pipelines is a plus.
- Large scale near real-time applications.
- Distributed systems understanding. Education background in systems is a huge plus.
- Advanced data warehousing and MPP knowledge
- Involvement in OSS projects.
- Vertical specialization. Having worked on specialized systems such as adaptive learning, fraud detection, advanced analytics, monitoring etc. would be beneficial as well.
- Basics of project management.
- Writing skills: candidates need to have good writing skills and are also encouraged to write blogs and evangelize to build their reputation in the industry.
- Public speaking experience: we encourage people to present at local meetup groups and conferences.
- Passion and the ability to learn new things