Director - Data Engineering
Seeking a leader of data engineering with a passion for building big datainfrastructures and leading teams to solve critical business challenges and support advanced analytics.
At American Eagle Outfitters Inc., we are doing some incredible things with data, analytics and software. We are leveraging cutting edge data and analytics platforms to provide insights on our customers in order to drive key business decisions.
The person in this role will be focused on developing the foundations for critical data products, including real time business metrics and analytics capabilities. The role requires building, developing and leading a team of Data Engineers vital in supporting and collaborating with groups including Data Science, Analytics/BI/Product, as well as our core backend platform team.
- Architect and build a big datainfrastructures that supports our customer data strategy and further defines our data governance, data management & classification processes
- Solve critical business challenges such as integration of disparate sources of data to enable a single view of the customer
- Collaborate closely with business leadership to ensure continual alignment around the development, maintenance, access, use, security and retention of data
- Collaborate with data consumers across the organization to ensure that all critical information needs are optimally addressed
- Support data and its consumption to provide new and innovative insights and recommendations to AEO business partners to foster a culture of data driven decision making
- Work within and across agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, and support technical solutions across a full-stack of development tools and technologies
- Proactively identify and grow our processes and technologies to scale to meet the global demand of the business
- Manage data infrastructure and strategic decisions to grow and support the team as well as the organization as it relates to Data
- Build and establish strong working relationships by providing timely, accurate and high quality information to peers, direct reports, executive management and/or customers
- Provide day-to-day work management, technical guidance, strategic direction, problem resolution, and career path development for Data Engineering team
- Remain up to date on industry trends and ability to incorporate new technologies and concepts
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Data Engineering, or related field required
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Data Engineering, or related field preferred
- 10+ years of experience managing and growing large-scale infrastructures using database technologies
- 7+ years of experience leading data technology teams and overseeing data, specifically relating to e-commerce customer data
- Experience with data management and engineering in the retail industry a plus
- Deep knowledge and understanding of technical aspects of data and database systems
- Experience in database capacity planning, data modeling, database design principles, and business intelligence
- Ability to hire, manage and grow a team of technical experts that build and operate secure, durable, flexible, accessible solutions
- Requires an understanding of relevant development languages, tools, frameworks, utilities and technical dependencies
- Solid engineering background and understanding of programming languages such as Python, Java or equivalent
- Strong understanding of SQL, experience with key databases such as Oracle, Teradata, Netezza, Green Plum, or other big data platforms
- Solid understanding of Hadoop ecosystem, Spark, and NOSQL technologies
- Ability to use cloud data solutions like AWS, Azure, Google, etc.
- Ability to use Continuous Integration tools (e.g. Jenkins, Sonar, and Maven)
- Experience with Oracle Exadata and other similar platform is plus
- Strong experience with enterprise security protocols, building RESTful services, best practices around cloud deployments.
- Experience building large-scale, high velocity data ingestion pipelines including streaming technologies for analytics solutions
- Ability to assess risk of technical changes and provide data-driven solutions
- Superior business and technical presentation, written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience managing or leading small to medium sized engineering teams in a dynamic environment, focusing on high performance and professional development
- Travel required