Director, Data and Analytics OperationsLOCATION
Enterprise ApplicationsDIVISION NAME
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPIJOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Reporting to the Deputy Chief Information Officer, the Director will lead mission critical efforts supporting data architecture, integrations and analytics services as well as managing day to operations. The Director will also collaborate with Institutional Research to efforts to develop master data management and data governance strategies.
• Overseeing the end-to-end management of data analytics infrastructure supporting several lines of business throughout the university.
• Collaborating with architecture and strategy team to establish and execute short- and long-term strategic plans along with tactical prioritization, goals, policies, and procedures.
• Working jointly with Institutional Research, design, deliver and manage a cross-campus collaborative, modern strategy for enterprise data governance in a fast-changing data environment while ensuring data integrity, security, and compliance.
• Supervise and oversee a team of data experts to design, build, manage, and support our strategic data analytic architecture, applications integrations, and campus-wide business and operational analytics.
• Manage and/or oversee all data management related projects including retirement of existing applications data and implementation of new data systems; both with essential designs of data flows in support of the Institution’s ongoing digital transformation.
• Document and train stakeholders at all levels on processes, procedures, practices, and policies in support of the Master Data Management strategy, models, and systems supporting it.
• Translate business requests into actionable analytical solutions, maintaining systems and procedures, building on different data platforms, migrating data and applications, and providing recommendations and positively influence management decisions by senior management and cross-functional stakeholders.JOB DESCRIPTION
- This role is accountable for delivering successful outcomes of data modernization services portfolio and prioritizing data architecture development/support efforts in cooperation with the Institutional Research team and other business groups. The Director will work with the business and IT leadership team to manage 3rd party software integration projects including systems, infrastructure, training and Go-Live support.
- Collaborate with the CIO, DCIO and the IT strategy and architecture teams to define and implement the vision for WPI’s master data management strategy.
- Work with the DCIO and other key stakeholders to develop, refine, and prioritize the university’s Reporting & Analytics capabilities and requirements.
- Work collaboratively with the larger IT division to understand application data, security structures, and reporting requirements; develop unified approaches for meeting and supporting the university’s information needs.
- Mentor and collaborate with the University data stewards to define, develop, and implement a long-term, institutional, data management strategy, and associated policies, to ensure a mature data infrastructure which transforms our raw data into valuable institutional information for executive data visualization and to support data-driven decision making.
- Design a master data management model which defines how data will be stored, consumed, integrated and managed by different data entities and IT systems, as well as any applications using or processing that data.
- Identify and execute continuous improvement opportunities and initiatives in functional business data processes to ensure the applicable systems align to the institutional data strategies, application data storage, application data integrations, and digital transformation.
- Oversight of data architecture and integration responsibilities, including development of master data management plans - in collaboration with data owners, technology leads, and data users – along with building a modern data management architecture and integration flows best suited to fit with WPI’s transactional, operational reporting, and analytic needs.
- Act as lead Project Manager for various data application systems and data integration projects; work closely with business stakeholders to define project and data requirements, outline project scope, assess risks, determine dependencies, and articulate communication plans.
- Supervise and oversee staff, projects, and activities in support of WPI’s data management initiatives.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to members of the team including delivery of timely positive and constructive feedback to the team and fostering a creative, innovative, and enjoyable workplace.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline
- 5+ years related data management experience.
- Knowledge of Master Data Management (MDM), Business Intelligence (BI) and enterprise data architectures and analytics
- Experience designing, implementing, and articulating data governance and master data management strategies.
- Experience managing modern data management solutions including logical data models, data warehousing, data lakes, big data management, IT systems integrations, data integrations, metadata collection, data modeling, data profiling, stand-alone data quality, and Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) tools
- Hands on experience working with various enterprise data sources including both structured and unstructured data; understanding of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and related large enterprise system architectures.
- Ability to comprehend and translate technical information and issues and apply to business solutions.
- Ability to comprehend and translate business and analytical needs into data management technologies and solutions.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships, influence others, and move toward a common vision or goal.
- Experience with implementing user data enablement and communities.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with executive sponsors and work with people of all levels of technical ability.
- Execution of best practice project management and ability to manage multiple assigned tasks/projects with minimal supervision.
- Excellent time management, organization, and planning skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and remain current with expanding data technologies; Recommend and implement solutions in accordance with current best practices.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Higher education experience preferred but not required.
- Preferred knowledge of Workday Prism, Tableau Server, AWS, Hadoop, Redshift, snapLogic, MS Azure, Data Cookbook, Informatica, Workday, Salesforce, and/or data modelling tools.
- Applicants must foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and/or commitment to do so as an employee at WPI
United States of America (Exempt)WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.