The primary function of this position is to direct the import, export, and customs-related activities for Doosan Bobcat North America and its subsidiaries and business units. This includes, but is not limited to, leading a team of trade compliance professionals located throughout the company’s various sites, managing the company’s customs brokers, creating & administering company compliance policies and procedures, determining correct classifications for the company’s imported and exported products, monitoring/auditing all import and export-related documentation, as well as the company’s record keeping of the same, as mandated, making country of origin determinations, managing the company’s duty drawback program, overseeing the company’s internal and external trade compliance software and developer relationships, and advising management regarding changes to domestic and international tariffs, taxes, and fees, trade sanctions, trade agreements, and other relevant trade-related issues.
The position is also responsible for directing all aspects of Doosan Bobcat North America’s communication and relationship with U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) and Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), as well as corresponding U.S. and Canadian export agencies regarding company imports or exports, as well as the applicability of any trade compliance-related laws and regulations. The position shall also provide key insights and recommendations for business planning purposes regarding the potential use of Free Trade Agreements (FTA), or other Preference Programs, and Intermatic’s execution of all aspects of U.S., Canadian, and foreign trade compliance.
Role & Responsibility
Import & Export/Customs
- Direct daily activity of the Trade Compliance Department.
- Serve as the primary point of contact with CBP and CBSA and, when appropriate, outside counsel.
- Administer the HTS tariff classification system and company processes.
- Administer procedures relative to the proper valuation of imported merchandise including, but not limited to, the valuation of any assists, royalties, or other additions to value, etc.
- Administer the company’s record keeping system to ensure all import and export-related documentation is properly filed and maintained to serve as a basis for regulatory compliance.
- Ensure that imported & exported merchandise is properly marked with the correct country of origin.
- Manage the company’s import/export software parterships.
- Advise company management regarding changes to FTAs or other Preference Programs, customs duties, taxes, and fees, and other relevant customs-related issues and regulations.
- Ensure compliance with Antidumping and Countervailing Duty (AD/CVD) requirements.
- Conduct routine internal audits of HTS classifications for accuracy or recent changes to the code.
- Work across teams, including Sourcing, Engineering, Finance, and Accounting, to capture the value of any assists or other statutory additions to value that affect the company’s compliance with customs regulations.
- Respond to inquiries from relevant government agencies, if applicable.
- Ensure timeliness of Trade Compliance work product to ensure timely delivery of materials and products.
- Training and development of in-house staff.
- Conduct periodic training of non-Trade Compliance staff.
- Administer procedures to test compliance processes.
- Conduct quarterly transaction testing/audits to ensure customs compliance.
- Compose/update compliance procedures, policies, and manuals.
- Education Required: Bachelor's Degree
- Travel Required: <10%
- Experience Required: 10-15 years
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience with U.S. import and export-related agencies, such as CBP, Department of Commerce (DOC), Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), etc., and their corresponding regulations (e.g., the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), etc.) as well as any Global counterparts of the same affecting the company’s import/export transactions.
- Minimum experience 10>15 years in International Trade
- Knowledge of Logistics
- Experience managing trade compliance team of professionals.
- Knowledge of global import and export regulations.
- Knowledge of trade agreements and requirements
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to follow written instructions.