Our client is a multi-billion-dollar consumer products company that develops, sources and markets a diverse line of products through virtually all retailchannels.
The position serves as the lead position for the combined areas of credit and accounts receivable. These functions will directly cover the geographic and operational regions of the U.S. and Canada. The position will also provide a coordination point for policy oversight for revenue accounting and accounts receivable across the company.
For the areas of responsibility noted below, the position is responsible for overseeing the accurate processing and accounting for all aspects of the company's revenue, accounts receivable and media / MAP spend. Maintenance of systems for customer billing, trade spending, and accounts receivable are critical to smooth operation of this finance function. Creating, cultivating, and maintaining strong relationships with external customers, internal sales and marketing groups, and other finance leaders is also paramount to successful performance of responsibilities.
The role will have direct responsibility over the accuracy and reporting of management information regarding revenue, trade spending and changes in deduction reserves, including implementing tools and creates processes, reports and metrics to drive and monitor team activities. This individual establishes, maintains, and monitors control systems to safeguard the company's assets and assures compliance with corporate policies and procedures, and will lead the relationship between the company and all internal/external auditors. This role will be involved with corporate staff initiatives to ensure that the accounting implications of actions being considered are understood by the decision makers and accurately disseminated.
This position directs the activities of several functional managers and associated staff. The scope of the position supports all sales channels.
- Sets clear strategic vision for the AR/Credit and Revenue Accounting staff located in the company's HQ, ensuring they are aligned with overall accounting and business strategies, and staff understand and adopt the vision.
- Implements and manages revenue accounting tools and processes to be used to ensure timely and accurate tracking of trade spend activity.
- Coordinates with other business groups to ensure that applicable off-invoice incentives are applied to respective sales invoices and accurately accounted for.
- Ensures that accounting processes are in place for proper accounting for media and other MAP spending, under US GAAP.
- Collaborates with internal and external (customers) stakeholders to minimize bad debt expense but maximizing sales.
- Sets and monitors key indicators for this group, including re-collection success (recovery from customer), efficiency (deduction clearing), backlog (aging of deductions) and accuracy.
- Provides month-end reporting and analysis to support deduction reserve activities.
- Looks for synergy opportunities between the formerly separate trade spend and AR groups – especially with regard to deduction processing and billing of miscellaneous items e.g. royalty income
- the coding, assignment and processing activities of deductions personnel.
- Sets and monitors key efficiency (volume of cash/invoice application) and accuracy (application errors) indicators for the cash application group.
- BS/BA in Accounting or Business-related field
- CPA Required
- MS/MBA preferred
- 10+ years of increasing responsibility in accounting, auditing, and/or financial reporting
- Strong technical skills and past experience of US GAAP and SEC reporting
- Thorough understanding of revenue cycle processes and accounting
- Experience managing groups of staff with disparate responsibilities
- Familiarity with ERP systems and Hyperion desired
- Proficiency in MS Office applications
- Interaction with executive level personnel, including CFO and CAO and Division Presidents
- Driver of change management
- Good conceptual, critical thinking, analytical, quantitative skills and the ability to problem solve