Combine your experience and sense of adventure by joining our exciting team of employees in Miami, Florida. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is pleased to offer a competitive compensation & benefits package, and excellent career development opportunities, each offering unique ways to explore the world.
- Based in Miami, FL and reporting to the AVP, Innovation & Transformation, the Director, Creative Technology will be responsible for providing leadership over the team that brings to life new, early stage products, services and experiences through iterative prototypes of varying fidelity that leverage emerging technologies, for Royal Caribbean Cruises, LTD and all associated brands (e.g, Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, etc.).
- The director will lead several sr. managers/managers and their teams, in close collaboration with internal stakeholders and external partners, to help imagine, prototype, test and iterate on innovative solutions that blend design, emerging technologies, strategy, and customer value, to push the envelope and inspire buy-in and investment of new ideas.
- The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding and proven track record of new technology experimentation and invention with respect to new product development, as well as the ability to provide broad influential leadership towards the swift development and tangible demonstration of guest and employee-centric experiences.
- The ideal candidate will also have an eye toward the rapidly evolving digital landscape and provide leadership over possible uses of advanced technology concepts, such as the impact and role of artificial intelligence in product development and the future state of the screen-less user experience, to help both educate leaders across the company, as well as inform our most forward facing projects.
- The role will provide direct leadership over technology managers (labs, software and hardware) and lead an overall team of employees and contractors, freelancers and vendors that ideate, design, prototype and iterate on first-of-its-kind digital products and initiatives. This leader requires the ability to direct and develop teams creating early-stage to product ready prototypes that manifest through hardware, software, environmental and human interaction.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
At a high-level, responsibilities for this role will include:
- Product prototyping: The director provides leadership over the creation of tangible experiences that demonstrate new products and experiences using technology at the appropriate level of fidelity. Provides direct leadership to prove new concept desirability, feasibility and viability.
- Emerging technology strategy: Provides influence over the strategic uses of emerging technology, across all brands and all touch points.
- Invention: Leads the team(s) in the invention of original and patentable technologies, and novel combinations and uses of technologies for our business.
- Experimentation: Leads the team(s) in the proactive and practical experimentation of novel technologies uses that have potential scalable guest, employee or business impact.
- Personnel management: Responsible for all aspects of personnel management (e.g., hiring, training and development, etc.) of the her/his direct reports and overall team
- Minimum 10 years in a creative technology, or relevant senior engineering leadership role
- Bachelor's degree required, with a Computer Science or other relevant advanced degree preferred
- Significant experience in leading teams/organizations in new product creation and development
- Experience and familiarity with a range of prototyping tools and solutions.
- Demonstrated portfolio of rapid prototyping, solution delivery and transition to production.
- An openness to invention and creativity regarding new methods of prototyping, and a passion to continuously evolve your craft.
Knowledge and Skills:
- The ideal candidate will excel in bringing clarity to ambiguity through making, as you investigate and create with the innovation team.
- This role requires that the candidate have a proven track record of leading large teams through ideation, design, prototyping and iteration of complex guest-and employee-facing products.
Ideation, Prototyping & Integration:
- Deep knowledge of digital technologies, ability to tinker with almost any hardware or software platform.
- Serious coding chops - platform/language agnostic.
- Endlessly curious, thinking through emerging technology tinkering and experimentation.
- Build prototypes (early - final product) to test ideas, interactions and functionality. Create forward momentum by iterating and selling ideas through prototypes.
- Manage complexity & stability in our high & low fidelity prototypes, showcases & exhibits.
- Manage relationships and projects with technical stakeholders, partners and vendors.
- Be an active member of the design team, contributing to every phase of the project through technical innovation, validation, and turning prototypes into reality.
- Have an inquisitive interest in the latest development techniques and libraries.
- Be comfortable with driving innovation from a technical point of view, pushing the boundaries of complex services and solutions that are simple, relevant, and human centered.
- Rapidly assess stakeholder requirements, and provide demonstrated prototype & pilot implementations.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication and project/program leadership skills, including the ability to communicate effectively at the senior most executive levels of a company
Continuous Learning & Teaching
- Keep up to date with technology trends and play with technology to understand it. Gain exposure and deep knowledge of new emerging technologies.
- Showcase the latest creative uses of technology to the wider company and introduce emerging technologies into the human-centered design process.
- Share your prototyping superpowers through teaching & mentoring others.
- Lend your voice to guide / inform the direction of projects from learnings you've gathered.
- Proven ability to collaborate with and achieve actionable results through others, plus the ability to build strong and sustainable relationships, and the capability to interact with all levels of the organization
- Ability to grasp the complexities of the business, Guest and employee and effectively translate that into a strategy that drives measurable results
- Ability to think strategically and drive ideas into action, with a positive outlook and willingness to take personal initiative