- Strategy Development
- Drives strategy development for the successful implementation and execution of the S aspects of the EH&S pillar of Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) across Owens Corning to deliver zero injuries.
- Analyzes business strengths and weaknesses, candidly and powerfully communicates to drive action, and leverages continuous improvement tools to improve performance.
- Leverages a combination of leading/lagging metrics and innovation test and learns to identify opportunities and drive material improvement (modeling ideation/evaluation/action and connection).
- Hungrily advances company learning, critical thinking, big-data analytics/insight, innovation/research and development, external knowledge/networking and leading-edge problem solving methods to identify, address and eliminate persistent injury types
- Executing Safety Strategy and Directing Operations
Establishes & maintains a management system with effective metrics and ongoing assessment to ensure progress and success with a bias toward hands-on operational engagement around the world.
- Demonstrates visual and influential leadership at all levels of operations and takes the initiative to fill identified leadership gaps
- Partners with business leaders to continuously improve the behaviors, awareness and accountability systems to meet business objectives
- Lead the corporate Safety team to ensure the strategic development of effective safety programs to eliminate injuries; effectively delegates while staying closely connected to execution of programs. These programs will comply with local legislative and administrative requirements while leveraging current best practices.
- Collaborate with and connects Safety and Operations Leaders together to ensure corporate resources are advancing safety results and all policies are effective and comply with local regulatory requirements and company policies.
- Benchmark with external leaders to bring the best thinking around safety into Owens Corning.
- Set clear and measurable expectations of safety performance; Establish, communicate and review commitments on a regular basis to ensure milestones are achieved; demonstrates resilience and commitment to overcome obstacles to deliver on commitments
- Establish and maintain a clear vision and expectations regarding safety for our employees, contractors and any visitors in our work locations.
- Talent Management and Development
- In collaboration with the medical director and environmental director, this position assures contemporary safety-professional functional excellence through employee selection and development and global succession management for EH&S.
- Designs and manages the safety organization creating accountability and development opportunities.
- Establishes accountability processes for ensuring alignment with operations leadership in talent management, expectation setting and performance management of safety talent
- Creates an inclusive environment where talent is developed through ongoing performance management and talent assessment.
- Effectively uses a mix of internal and external recruitment to satisfy near-term performance, longer-term succession to meet the business need; maintains an external “Brand” that attracts both seasoned and emerging safety talent to Owens Corning.
- Invests in growth and development of direct reports and other identified talent in their organization.
- Builds a work environment that nurtures and facilitates open communication, employee engagement and diversity.
- Undergraduatedegreerequired (EH&S or science/engineering); advanced degreepreferred.
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience in leading Safety (or EH&S) function with progressive career advancement including operational and functional assignments; TPM experience highly desired.
- External EH&S publications and professional recognitions
- Success in leading large, matrix organizations across geographically diverse areas.
- Experience working in a mature TPM environment
- Experience working with external parties including suppliers and regulatory authorities strongly preferred
- Advanced education or professional certification/training in EH&S field
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated ability to iterate with agility across ideation, evaluation and action while effectively leveraging cross-functional team connection to get meaningful work done with speed.
- Ability to shift and adapt behavior based on audience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to lead and drive change across teams, functions, businesses.
- Building, leading and inspiring teams.
- Ability to translate complex technical needs/requirements into clear actions for execution.
- Strong organization skills, manages competing priorities and keeps stakeholders well-informed
- Comfortable with ambiguity and is able to influence without authority