General Scope and Summary
Sage Therapeutics, Inc. is searching for a healthcare attorney with experience representing public biotechnology or pharmaceutical companies for a highly visible role. Reporting directly to the Vice President, Corporate Counsel, this role will serve as a key business partner and legal support to Global and U.S. functions involved in research and development, manufacturing, and commercialization, including Sales, Marketing, Patient Support, and Market Access. This role will also participate as a member of Sage’s Medical and Promotional Material Review Committees, work with the contracts management team to review and negotiate contracts, and collaborate with other members of Legal and Compliance to ensure alignment and execution of the team’s mission and business goals.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for providing legal advice on a broad set of healthcare and general corporate matters.
- Serve as legal advisor to Commercial, Market Access and Patient Support, advising on promotional and disease state initiatives, interactions and communications with patients, physicians, and payers, business and training plans, business rules, coverage and reimbursement matters, patient support resources, and financial assistance program design and execution.
- Participate on Sage’s Medical and Promotional Material Review Committees, including review of promotional, medical and disease awareness materials, publications, scientific and medical meeting materials, field team materials, training materials, and materials for advisory boards and market research.
- Collaborate with other members of Legal and Compliance to support ongoing execution of post-launch activities and prepare for potential future product launches in the U.S. and ex-U.S.
- Work with a team of contract managers to review and negotiate a wide range of agreements related to the functions supported by the role.
- Work across all company departments to meet business objectives.
- Participate in developing legal strategy and direction for the Company.
- Provide leadership on cross-functional teams, identify legal issues, provide legal options and analysis of possible legal solutions, and give recommendations for addressing critical issues so that business and legal objectives are met.
- Interact with external counsel, advisors, external vendors, and business partners.
- Work collaboratively and creatively with internal clients by clearly and effectively rendering practical and timely legal advice on complex issues/concepts.
- Advise on the interpretation of legal documents and applicable laws and regulations in a manner that provides practical legal advice while properly managing risk to the organization.
- Keep informed of new laws, regulations, and industry trends affecting the organization, and assist with development of policies and training as needed.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to identify and raise issues to key stakeholders in order to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- Law Degree from a nationally recognized law school and member of a state bar.
- Minimum of 4-8 years of experience in legal practice in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry and/or experience working as in-house counsel providing legal advice on a broad set of healthcare and general corporate matters.
- Prior experience advising on advertising and promotional matters as a member of an in-house legal department of a commercial-stage bio-pharmaceutical company strongly preferred.
- Strong base of knowledge and experience advising clients on laws and regulations governing the pharmaceutical industry, including FDA regulations, False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback Statute, OIG guidance, the PhRMA Code, HIPAA, and product liability laws, is highly valued.
- Sound business judgment; strategic and analytical thinking.
- Self-motivated, flexible and interested in working on a wide range of legal matters in order to understand and advise the Company on legal implications of its business strategy.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills and the capacity to simultaneously handle a variety of complex matters.
- Ability to form strong working relationships with other employees and partners, while maintaining firm adherence to proper legal standards.
- Experience working with all levels of management and key business stakeholders with a demonstrated ability to influence outcomes and effectively communicate legal risks to senior management and others.
- Strong team player that can work collaboratively and independently and has a customer service and solution-oriented approach.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, and with external partners and vendors.
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Embrace Sage’s core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law