Join us as a Director of Corporate and Transactional Accounting, where you will be responsible for leading & directing the Corporate Accounting & Accounting Operations Teams. This role will be based at our facility in Oak Brook, IL.
The Director, Corporate & Transactional Accounting is responsible for ensuring a timely & accurate global accounting process. This position reports to the Corporate Controller. A successful candidate must be able to thrive in a fast paced, global environment. The Director is required to work closely with all members of the Global Finance Organization, the Parent Company's Tax function, the Parent Company's Finance function & Chamberlain's external auditors. In addition, the Director will be required to work cross-functionally to understand & appropriately account for complex business transactions. The position will be responsible for managing 3 direct reports & 10 to 20 indirect reports.
Director, Corporate and Transactional Accounting Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of Accounting & Finance experience required.
- Minimum of two (2) years of Public Accounting experience.
- Minimum of five (5) years in a Corporate Accounting or Corporate Finance Role combined.
- Minimum of five (5) years of people management.
- CPA is required (Licensed or Registered).
- Experience consolidating multiple legal entities.
- Experience working in a multi-currency organization with revaluation & translation.
- In-depth knowledge of US GAAP is required.
- Results-oriented professional with a demonstrated ability to manage & prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously while delivering high quality results.
- Must possess strong problem identification & resolution capabilities along with strong & professional judgment & decision-making abilities.
- Outstanding written & verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to efficiently communicate to all levels of organization or outside partners.
- Proficiency with spreadsheets & financial accounting systems.
- Ability to travel up to 15% of time.
Director, Corporate and Transactional Accounting Responsibilities:
- Leading the Corporate Accounting & Accounting Operation Teams
- Motivate & lead a high-performance team by attracting, onboarding, recruiting & retaining team members.
- Drive the performance management process by communicating job expectations, monitoring & evaluating performance, providing feedback & facilitating employee development per the company's policies.
- Maintain transparent communication by appropriately communicating organization information to team through department meetings, one-on-one meetings, appropriateemail, IM & regular interpersonal communications.
- Lead & motivate individuals & teams to create a workplace culture that is consistent with the Chamberlain mission, vision & values.
- Protect Chamberlain's reputation by keeping information confidential.
- Maintain professional & technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reading professional publications, establishing personal networks, & participating in professional societies.
- Contribute to the team effort by accomplishing related results & participating on project teams as needed.
Monthly close & reporting
- Identify & address issues impacting the accounting close & consolidation process.
- Review trial balance, income statement, balance sheet, cash flow & other reports to ensure completeness & accuracy of accounting results & application of US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Provide practical guidance to global locations on application of US GAAP through collaboration with the Senior Manager, Financial Reporting & the applicable Global Finance personnel.
- Ensure an accurate & thorough global account reconciliation process.
- Lead & direct the global accounting close & consolidation processes that meets deadlines & provides high quality results.
- Drive consistency in world-wide accounting policy adoption & processes that leads to highly accurate & timely reporting in compliance with US GAAP.
- Direct the creation & maintenance of processes to ensure compliance with Corporate Accounting policies, including the implementation of new US GAAP pronouncements.
- Proactively undertake improvements to the company's internal controls over financial reporting.
- Set direction & review performance metrics to ensure payroll processes are well controlled and result in accurate & timely pay cycles in the US & Canada.
- Set direction & review performance metrics to ensure accounts payable processes are well controlled and pay supplier partners according to payment terms cost effectively.
- Develop processes to ensure payment discounts are leveraged according to supplier terms & available cash warrants prompt payment.
- Ensure Travel & Entertainment (T&E) processes comply with applicable regulations, optimize administrative burden & pay expenses timely.
- Provide oversight & direction to all aspects of global cash movements & recognition.
- Partner with Treasurer to execute investment & debt strategies.
- Maintain disciplined processes for all aspects of required government reporting related to Payroll, AP, T&E & Cash/Treasury transactions.
- Set direction & policy on GL Account, Profit Center, Cost Center, Internal Order & other financially relevant SAP master data.
- Set direction & provide requirements to the Financial Systems Team to ensure appropriateness of reports & accuracy of consolidation process.
Year-end audit & financial reporting
- Support the audit process by directing Manager & Corporate Accounting Staff on key audit issues.
- Partner with Senior Manager, Financial Reporting to implement process improvements to streamline the financial statement audit process.
- Coordinate directly with the internal and financial statement auditors on accounting matters & positions.
- Ensure timely completion of all auditor requests.
- Ensure timely remediation of identified control improvement opportunities
Parent Company support
- Partner with Parent Company Finance representative(s) to provide accurate & relevant financial information as required by Company ownership.
- Respond to questions from the Parent Company related to the reported financial results.
- Ensure that all tax reporting to the Parent Company is accurate & timely.
- Support the budgeting & forecasting processes as requested.
- Direct compliance efforts related to sales, use & other non-income taxes in North America.
- Direct Chamberlain's global accounting strategy & collaborate with the Parent Company's Tax Department for global transfer pricing.
- Direct accounting related activities for business combinations & divestitures.