Take the helm of one of the world’s most beloved brands and help bring it to life for our customers. As part of our team, you’ll own, guide, and direct marketing efforts, motivating our customers to strengthen their relationship with our brand. Constantly creating, innovating, and exploring the new, you’ll drive customer engagement and loyalty while sparking excitement.
The Consumer Insights team at Macy’s plays a critical role in advocating for the customer through the development and presentation of insights that drive actionable change. The Consumer Insights team partners with senior leaders in analytics, merchandising, design, marketing, store operations, digital experience, and innovation to provide custom research solutions that solve critical business issues and drive strategy.
The Director of Consumer Research is a strategic leadership role that plays an important role in bringing the voice of the consumer into decision making, identifying marketplace and product category opportunities and provides actionable insights and recommendations for Macy’s. This role is responsible for managing a team, setting a vision for research initiatives, guiding data analyses, providing insights and interpretation of the data, as well as delivering compelling presentations. The Director is skilled at seeing the bigger picture, asking questions that help frame issues into larger contexts and influencing leadership to make meaningful changes based on the customer. This role will require a strong analytical orientation and ability to translate insights into more specific, action-oriented implications and recommendations for Senior Management, in addition to impeccable organizational skills, strong management/relationship-building capabilities, and an impressive ability to absorb, synthesize and effectively communicate diverse types of data and information.
Strategic Leadership & Collaboration
- Be an advocate for the Macy’s customer, seeking to understand their wants and needs.
- Collaborate across consumer insights to diagnose complex business issues and be a leader in recommending solutions that integrate primary research, secondary research, customer data, digital analytics, market share (NPD), NPS satisfaction & CSAT.
- Represent Consumer Insights as an internal consultant in cross-functional task forces as the customer expert – proactively recommending research where needed, synthesizing past research and managing KPI’s across touch points through visual dashboards and infographic storytelling.
- Identify opportunity areas to connect various customer feedback listening posts (across stores, digital, social, etc.) into contextual, actionable insight and proactively design reporting outputs for Sr. Leadership.
Lead Research Projects & Team Management
- Lead complex, large scale qualitative and quantitative primary research to support strategic initiatives. Focus areas may include: longitudinal brand research, segmentation, concept testing, consumer journey mapping, focus groups, shop alongs, ethnography, etc.
- Work in close collaboration with key stakeholders (Product Management, Site Merchandising, Marketing, User Experience and Research, Contact Center, Insights, Logistics, Engineering, Technology, Creative, Stores, etc. on customer needs, trends and focus areas) to elevate the customer experience.
- Supervise data compilation, validation and use to ensure integrity of the data is maintained.
- Collaborate with and guide team members on data analysis, insight creation and final deliverables.
Customer & Industry Expert and Advocate
- Aggregate key findings to provide high level overviews and opportunities across multiple businesses.
- Act as an advocate for Consumer Insights, educating the organization on the role of Consumer Insights throughout the organization.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Senior and Mid-level management in FOBs to understand their strategic initiatives.
- Stay abreast of industry trends by constantly monitoring and managing calendar of available industry reports, online publications and webinars (e.g. NPD, Kantar Retail, Mintel, Women’s Wear Daily, NRF) and providing brief summaries of Consumer Trend to Marketing/Merchandising teams as appropriate.
Innovation in Research
- Bring fresh perspectives on research methodologies, presentation formats, strategic frameworks and KPI reporting to inspire the team on new ways of working.
- Support efforts to continually innovate around survey/feedback methodology to adjust to changing customer preferences.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- BA/BS degree with outstanding academic track record – business, statistics or market research degree a plus.
- 8 - 10 years work experience in corporate consumer insights / market research / strategy team / CX team; market research supplier leading custom research with clients, or consulting firm.
- Experience with retail industry preferred.
- Strategic thinker who advocates for the customer but also sees the bigger picture of business goals and uses data & insight to show how the two should align to make better business decisions.
- Strong technical quantitative research skills including methodology design, questionnaire development and data analysis. Knowledgeable in quantitative research best practices, including sampling & weighting and experience managing studies with complex statistical analysis like conjoint, TURF, driver analysis, segmentation, etc.
- Experience managing qualitative research and deriving customer insight from qualitative methodologies (shop alongs, ethnography, focus groups, etc.).
- Experience managing or working on a brand’s NPS / Customer Satisfaction program and using store & site feedback tools (Foresee, Medallia, etc.).
- Experience reporting on retail market share analysis using NPD data; experience with Decision Key preferred.
- Strong skills working first-hand with large data sets, experience with SPSS or other statistical analysis software preferred.
- Manage direct report and vendor partners to successfully achieve objectives.
- Very strong project, process and organizational skills; able to effectively juggle multiple projects/assignments at one time and deliver high quality results in timely fashion.
- Very strong written and oral communicator with proven ability to think analytically and pragmatically; capable of communicating effectively both cross-functionally and with executives.
- Self-starter with good problem solving skills and ability to take initiative.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to collaborate effectively, works well with others and is considered a true team player.