Job Title: Director of Community Relations
Reports to: President/CEO Care1st
Blue Shield of California’s Care1st Health plan serves over 500,000 Californians. This role provides effective and inspiring leadership, as well as stewardship, of the Blue Shield / Care1st Medi-Cal and Cal MediConnect lines of business by fostering and strengthening strategic relationships with community-based organizations, elected officials, health department and social services in multiple counties, but the primary focus will be in Los Angeles and San Diego counties.
The Director of Community Relations builds relationships with community stakeholders to position the Care1st health plan as a trusted advisor and partner. This role is accountable for building community coalitions, cultivating corporate commitment to the community, and promoting efforts to improve health care outcomes. He/she actively increases engagement, participation and creates opportunities with stakeholders to provide feedback about efforts to improve health outcomes and the social determinants of health. Serves as an advocate within Blue Shield’s Care1st Health Plan on where to make investments in organizations and communities. The Director of Community Relations reports directly to the President/CEO of Care1st and will lead a small team with a matrixed/shared partners oversight across all departments in Blue Shield of California.
This position will be based in Monterey Park, CA
Essential Functions and Key Responsibilities:
- Design and implement a strategic community relationship program to strengthen relationships with community associations in Los Angeles, San Diego, with the expectation to expand relationship network to other counties.
- Oversee and monitor the performance of staff to ensure targets, goals and expectations are met both in LA and SD Counties.
- Collaborates across departments to share external stakeholder feedback with the intent to drive appropriate responses.
- Creating and supporting stakeholder efforts to improve health care outcomes by creating forums for collaboration and learning in counties.
- Work with Care 1st leaders and other internal departments to promote participation of Boards of Community Based Organizations.
- Create and promote speaker panel for Care 1st Leaders to increase visibility and, ultimately, elevate the profile of our health plans
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Conceptual/Strategic thinking: Ability to understand a situation or problem by putting the pieces together, seeing the larger picture and its internal or competitive implications. It includes identifying patterns or connections between situations that are not obviously related;identifying key or underlying issues in complex situations.
- Analytical thinking: Ability to organize the parts of a problem or situation in a systematic way,making systematic comparisons of different features or aspects; setting priorities on a rational basis; identifying time sequences, causal relationships or if/then relationships.
- Technical: General management experience that includes substantial responsibility for operations and compliance in a health care environment is desirable. Broad knowledge of the healthcare industry including regulatory/operational trends, markets, competitors, financing,regulation, and risk management.
- Operational Execution:Abilityto lead direct and indirect operational teams to achieve business performance and deliver ACA requirements in an effective and efficient manner.
- Developingothers:Abilitywhichincludestheintent and capabilitytoteach or fosterthe learning or development of one or several otherpeople including the abilityto dothe appropriatelevel of need analysis.
- Teamwork &cooperation:Genuine intentiontoworkcollaboratively/cooperativelywith others,to be partof ateam,to work together asopposedtoworking separately or competitively.
- Achievement orientation: Willingness andabilitytocompeteagainst a standardof excellence including one’s own,anobjective measure,theperformance ofothers (competitors) or the yet unknown,which represents innovation.
- Strategic future orientation:A bias for actionthatpropelsthe organization forward and represents doing morethan is requiredor expectedbythe job,customers,directreports, peers or other stakeholders.Itinvolves doingthis when ithasnotbeen requested simply because it will createnew opportunities
- Strategic influencing: Ability to use oneself as a tool to persuade and build commitment to the vision, mission and goals of the company and to do this without using hierarchical power to get others to adopt a course of action. Strategic influencing is used at all levels in the company and with customers, regulators, vendors, and other stakeholders.
- Informationseeking:Adesire toknow more about things,people,orissuesthatdrives a quest and curiosity about the business,its competitors,processes,etc.thatgoes well beyond whatis required.
Personal Effectiveness Competencies:
- Relationshipbuilding:Abilitytobuildandmaintain friendly,warm relationships or networks of contactswith peoplewho are,ormightsomedaybe,useful(in a constructive sense of the word) in achieving work-relatedgoals.The behaviors include:consciously “working at:”buildingrapport,extendingoneselftobuild rapport;establishing rapporteasily;sharing one’s selftocreate a common ground or mutuality;or “networking” withothers.
- Abilityto understandthe power relationships inan organization – both yours andthe customers’ includingthe abilitytoidentifywho arethereal decision makers andthe individuals who caninfluencethem;andtopredicthowneweventsor situations willaffectindividuals and groupswithinthe organization,or the organization’s positionvis-à-visnational or international markets,organizations,or politics.
- Understands and abides by all departmental policies and procedures as well as the organization’s Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance Program.
- Attends mandatory Corporate Compliance Program education sessions, as required for this position, including the annual mandatory Standards of Conduct class.
- Participates actively in ensuring that all state and federal rules and regulations are followed as they apply to this position.
- Abides by all applicable laws and regulations as mandated by state and federal laws and prevents being excluded or sanctioned from any state and/or federal programs as they pertain to healthcare.
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications:
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in community health, public relations or community-based organizations, including planning and organizing large-scale public events; including 6 years of management experience gained as a team leader, supervisor or project/program manager.
- Proven track record of Community Health program development, implementation and evaluation
- A Bachelor degree in public health, public affairs or related field is required; a Master degree preferred.
- A valid, CA driver’s license and proof of insurance.
- Strong interpersonal skills with prove ability to cultivate and build positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Knowledge of Managed Care, Medi-Cal, Medicare, Cal MediConnect and other County sponsored programs
- Knowledge of cultural and linguistic sensitivities
- Demonstrated ability to influence business leaders and external stakeholders with the goal of building commitment.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills required
- Strategic thinker with analytical skills required
- Ability to work independently and with external and internal stakeholders to manage multiple projects
- Effective time management and project planning skills required
- Bilingual in English/ Spanish required
- This position is expected to travel 60% (or greater)