Director, Community Relations & Local Government Affairs - Government & Community Relations
Serves as Washington University’s lead liaison and the Chancellor’s representative to local governments, associations, organizations, and neighborhood/community groups. Develops and communicates University positions on local policy issues to elected/appointed officials in Clayton and University City, Missouri. Advises and guides internal University groups about engagement with the local community and local elected officials. The Director is a strategic leader who develops and implements significant local initiatives of importance to the University’s mission.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- University’s lead liaison to Clayton and University City elected/appointed officials and their staff; back up liaison for City of St. Louis and St. Louis County.
- University’s representative to community organizations (e.g., Skinker-DeBaliviere Community Council, Clayton and University City Chambers of Commerce, and Community Improvement Districts). Responsible for responding to neighbors with concerns about University activity.
- Provide leadership, oversight and support to the Neighborhood CARE Program. Liaison to Facilities Planning and Management, Real Estate, and Parking and Transportation on projects that impact the communities around the University.
- Responsible for nurturing, convening, and utilizing as appropriate the WU Neighbors’ Council.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Master’s Degree strongly preferred
- Ten years of progressively responsible experience working with local government offices and agencies, community organizations, and University constituencies.
- Project Management
- Public Speaking
- Problem Solving and Creative Thinking
- Persuasive Oral and Written Communication
- Personal Credibility
- Management Skills
- Interpersonal Relations
- Conflict Resolution
Salary commensurate with experience.