The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.
The Director, Communications is responsible for developing and overseeing the execution of strategic content, social media, digital initiatives and integration of interactive media into the overall strategy of the College of Engineering (CoE). In addition, the Director will develop traditional and online marketing and communications strategies, and will assist the Dean in the development of short-term operational and long-term strategic outreach and communication plans that align with broad goals of the University. The Director will conceive, develop and execute all functions related to effective outreach and communication of major CoE proposals, programs and activities.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Work with the dean to develop and implement the CoE outreach and communications strategy.
- Develop and implement a proactive media relations strategy to build the school's visibility and public awareness through key business, business education and general media.
- Provide strategic direction for the College of Engineering (CoE) in the use of social media to engage prospective students and build a stronger CoE community.
- Provide strategy for traditional marketing and communication supporting the CoE with writing and editing.
- Provide strategic marketing and communications counsel to the dean, program directors (undergraduate and graduate recruitment, alumni and career center, and online education), and department chairs.
- Liaise regularly with University Communications to ensure alignment, and provide assistance for matters relating to external relations with other units, elected officials, and the general public.
- Confer with production and support personnel to produce or coordinate production of advertisements and promotions.
- Develop content in regard to public appearances, lectures, contests, or exhibits for CoE senior leadership.
- Write and edit publicity material, and release it through various media. Edit major research proposals for understanding and impact.
- Prepare publications for internal and external audiences, including newsletters; marketing pieces to alumni, corporate sponsors, and prospective students; press releases, promotional pieces and impact surveys for events and activities.
- Monitor and analyze social media trends and their impact on the CoE brand including internet trends, site features, online tools and best practices.
- Listen actively to the CoE social media community and analyze and report on findings/trends regularly.
- Generate and manage monthly and/or quarterly reports on attendee counts, communication campaign results, open rates and social media reach, etc., as well as initiate advanced analysis to assist in strategic planning.
- Work closely with web support staff, and manage content creation and placement for CoE website.
- Create, manage and monitor budget and resource allocation for all CoE marketing and communication programs and activities.
- Candidate must have a Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, or a related field; 5+ years of experience in customer service, marketing, advertising, public relations, journalism or online marketing (including demonstrated social media experience); and previous experience in the development and implementation of social media strategies and a familiarity with online marketing best practices. Equivalent combinations of education/experience may be considered. Must demonstrate a passion for emerging media trends and technology. Photoshop; video production and editing experience; and online writing experience a plus.
- The right candidate will be a creative, diplomatic, well-organized colleague who is able to work within a cross-functional team with demonstrated excellence in interpersonal, project management, and presentation skills. Flexibility and responsiveness to deal with complex problems and strategic opportunities on the fly is imperative for success. Excellent verbal and written skills and knowledge and experience in traditional communication methods required.