Ascend Learning is seeking a Director, Communications to drive company-wide internal and external communications programs. Under the direction of the Chief Human Resources Officer, this role will work directly with the CEO and executive leadership team to develop a strategic plan for creating clear and consistent messages for the Ascend Learning brand. This person will also oversee company-wide communication channels and implement new channels to drive employee engagement across the company and cultivate Ascends employer brand in the community. Additionally, this role will develop content and provide trusted communication for the CEO and executives. Specifically, this role is responsible for the following:
- Working directly with the CEO and the CHRO, to develop and execute a communications strategy in line with company and cultural goals. This would encompass all communications and marketing tools such as Town Halls, Leadership Meetings, Blogs, Monthly Letters, Posters, etc.
- Promote key corporate initiatives and milestones, tying them back to our vision and values. Find and promote examples of our culture of excellence in action across the company.
- Work directly with the CEO to support executive communication both internal and external to include speeches and presentations.
- Oversee internal website making specific investment decisions on new uses of communications technology to improve productivity and engagement. Develop an overall measurement approach to understand readers’ behaviors and translate that knowledge into recommendations for updates to intranet content, design and technology.
- Build the Ascend Brand both internally and externally. Ensure it is consistent. Serve as an ambassador to the community, growing and cultivating Ascends employer brand externally.
- Research, develop and execute innovative strategic marketing and public relations plans to achieve organizational goals and promote the Ascend Learning mission, vision, values, programs, services, positions, stories and events.
- Provide a level of functional communications support to senior leaders of the company through mergers and acquisitions.
- Work with external surveys to boost the Ascend Learning brand in the communities in which we are located.
- Lead and manage one direct report. Partner with Ascend Business Unit Marketing and Branding leaders to enhance the overall brand and strategic impact of Ascend.
- Other duties as imperative to create and support the Ascend marketing and communication strategy.
Minimum Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree is required: degree in Marketing, Advertising, Communication or related field preferred. Master’s degree preferred.
- 10+ years of experience working in marketing communications, advertising or corporate communications at a major company or in an agency.
- Executive presence specifically supporting the CEO and an executive team in multi layered internal communications.
- Experience overseeing both internal and external Marketing Communications.
- Previous experience supporting the vision and values of an organization through a continuous communication strategy.
- Experience in matrix-managed environments.
- Experience supervising people.
- Proven ability to manage outside agencies and to deliver programs on deadline and budget.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent strategic thinking and tactical execution skills.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Strong leader who can develop comprehensive marketing and communications strategy which aligns with the vision and culture of the company.
- Ability to work closely and collaboratively with cross-functional colleagues.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Self-starter who can work independently in an individual contributor role.
- Creative thinker and problem solver.