Today’s biologic drugs are providing breakthrough treatment options for many of the world’s most challenging diseases and chronic conditions. As a supplier for the largest biopharmaceutical manufacturers in the world, Avantor is trusted to provide the products, services, solutions and expertise necessary to quickly and confidently move through research and production. We provide a unique combination of industry expertise with the broadest portfolio of products and materials engineered and manufactured to meet the highest quality standards and regulatory requirements for our customers’ products—whether vaccines, monoclonal antibodies, recombinant proteins, cell therapies, gene therapies or small molecule treatments.
The Director, Business Communications, Biopharma, will develop integrated programs and campaigns to engage all global stakeholders—including customers, employees, media and influencers. The role will help drive revenue growth for the business, tell the Biopharma story through consistent messages, and establish thought leaders as part of a broader Avantor-wide thought leadership and positioning initiative.
The position reports directly to the SVP, Global Communications & Brand, with dotted line accountability to the VP, Biopharma Strategic Marketing. The position is supported by 2 dedicated Biopharma communicators viand will work closely/collaborate with peer communicators with global responsibility for corporate and brand communications as well as regional teams of marketing communications staff in the Americas, Europe and AMEA to ensure alignment.
MAJOR JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (List in order of importance)
- Collaborate with the strategic marketing team in Avantor’s Biopharma Production business to identify opportunities and develop annual integrated plans. Own the execution including oversight for trade shows, events and sponsorships, development of sales collateral, technical articles and media stories, among other tactics
- Maintain an understanding of target customer segments and the value propositions for most strategic product offerings/services in the unit
- Serve as a member of the Biopharma senior leadership business team and provide communications counsel and guidance on issues, crises, opportunities and events
- Create and implement integrated communications plans that leverage all available traditional and digital media including social, mobile, search and email campaigns. Ensure plans are globally consistent yet regionally appropriate and are executed within assigned budgets
- Proactively identify, source and manage strategic opportunities for business executive and thought leader interviews and speaking engagements
- Source, draft and distribute effective Biopharma-related press releases, media statements, .com and social content, and support documents in line with the strategic business and overall Avantor goals
- Drive BU associate and leadership engagement with strategic narrative using best practice and the right communications channels (including the Intranet, town halls) with a lens of the new normal operating environment
- Advise and support senior executives on strategic messaging, channels and delivery approach, and provide strategic planning on key transformational initiatives
- Collaborate with external partners and agencies to develop all communications materials in the most efficient and effective manner.
- Apply knowledge of customers and products to leverage the whole of Avantor’s assets/capabilities in effectively positioning the brand for measurable results
- Define program-specific success criteria. Monitor and report progress against pre-defined criteria. Develop actionable plans to address gaps or resistance.
- Actively monitor and evaluate marketplace dynamics. Communicate activity to commercial leadership and work with global colleagues to develop and execute a response
- Measure, track and analyze overall program effectiveness to determine ROI and prioritize resources.
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodations.
- Provide media training for leaders as needed
- Effectively manage issues/crises for the business and/or its brands as needed
- Travel internationally and domestically 15-20%
QUALIFICATIONS (Education/Training, Experience and Certifications)
- Bachelor's degree required, MBA or equivalent Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of marketing, communications, brand management or related agency experience with a successful track record in planning and executing global integrated campaigns
- Experience working with life science, biopharma or advanced technology businesses/products or a large public company is preferred
- Global experience is a strong plus
- Position requires a strategic communications perspective, business acumen, an understanding of the relevant corporate functions and a focus on performance and continuous improvement.
- Strong ability to build productive relationships and lead development of marketing communications strategies through interactions with diverse internal and external business partners, including company senior leadership across a variety of functions and geographies
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES (Those necessary to perform the job competently)
- Strong writing & editing skills
- Excellent presentation and speaking skills
- Proactive, highly energetic personality, ability to think creatively
- Experience leading cross-functional project teams; collaborating with multiple corporate departments and outside consultants; and managing diverse projects exceeding deadlines
- Ability to work in a fast-paced/high-growth environment, where initiative, accountability, and prioritization are critical
- Exceptional organizational/project management skills and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and consistently meet deadlines and achieve budget
- Ability to interact with senior leadership on critical business issues
- Experience building and driving integrated (and omni-channel) communications programs
- Flexible with problem solving and analytical skills
- Committed to constant improvement and best practice
- Digitally driven, with understanding of digital media platforms demonstrated ability in developing and driving creative, engaging content
- Enthusiasm for implementing new communications technologies
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines