The purpose of this position is to manage sales activities in the Commercial Print sales channel for a specified geographic area. Paper grades include coated sheets (folio and digital), coated and uncoated web, C1S Specialties, InkJet and SBS grades. Customers include paper distributors (national, regional and local) as well as direct customers. Targeted market segments include commercial printers, direct mailers, converting and packaging printers, corporate accounts, catalog mailers, regional book and magazine publishers. Metrics include volume, new business development, mix, pricing, channel optimization and overall region profitability. Strong people skills are also required including leading, developing and recruiting sales professionals. The position requires an understanding of the merchant business ensuring distributor sales approaches are aligned with Verso corporate strategies. The position will manage relationships at an executive level and effectively work with those senior leaders of larger customers and distributors within the assigned region. This position will interface with other Verso functions such as product and brand management, marketing, pricing, supply chain as well as customer technical service. Teamwork is critical. Candidate will be expected to provide market feedback to guide strategic and tactical decisions making.
- Achieve targeted volume, mix and new business at distributors and direct customers in the assigned market geography
- Meet targeted demand forecasting levels
- Assist in managing price to ensure overall profitability
- Assign account responsibilities to maximize effectiveness and financial returns
- Provide leadership and development to the Verso sales team in the region
- Assist in establishing and maintaining confidence and credibility with merchant’s key personnel through solution selling, relationship building and responsiveness
- Seek and understand competitive information (products, pricing, strengths, weaknesses) and develop recommendations to senior management for tactical decision making
- Responsible as the the key lead salesperson to executive level of respective local and regional distributors
- Manage T&E for region ensuring individual compliance to allocated budgets
- Provide input to the development of strategic sales plans for Verso’s customers and distributors and support tactical execution
Key Challenges: Describe the key challenges this position currently faces or will face in the next 1 – 2 years regarding:
The external environment, including technology, competition, markets:
The external business environment will likely remain challenging and competitive for the foreseeable future. This will require innovative and creative approaches to maintain and secure new business for Verso. Being able to identify solutions for our potential customers will be critical as well as Supporting and understanding Verso value propositioin and ability to communicate that value to senior management of key accounts. Understanding and communicating our competitive positioning will also be critical. Ability to sell into different levels of customer supply chain will also be key to success.
The internal environment, including interaction with others, policies and practices:
In addition to the external challenges, Verso will be developing new products and services and exploring new markets, which will require this position to deal with a fast changing and evolving environment. The position will require a quick learner and good organizational agility. The ability to work internally across various departments to determine the best course of action for Verso and the customer is important. People development is critical, and abltiy to develop and manage a strong sales team will be critical to success.
The work itself, e.g., problems, opportunities, change:
Candidates need to thoroughly understand the competition and Verso’s own strengths and weaknesses. Candidates will need to understand and discover the drivers that influence customer’s purchasing behavior and decisions. The ability to analyze financial subjects ranging from paper yield and postage factors to cash flow and payment terms are necessary. Basic knowledge of conventional offset (web and folio) as well as digital (toner and inkjet) printing is required. Candidates need a basic understanding of a wide range of customer segments such as commercial and packaging printing, direct mail and other segments including magazine and book publishing, etc.
Each Commercial Print Regional Sales Director will be responsible for sales in the range of $200M and volume of 200K tons. People responsibility will be in the 4-8+ range.
- Drives Results
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Business Acumen
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Problem Solving
- BS/BA degree and 7+ years of industrial sales/sales management and/or related experience.
- Or, equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Effective knowledge of printing paper and converting markets.
- Demonstrable track record of success selling into large diversified business to business customers and/or distributors.
- Competent with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Verso software applications
- Possess excellent skills in the areas of communication, analysis, organization and decision making.
- Experience in forecasting and budgeting, understanding of P&L a plus
- Strong situational leadership and collaboration skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively across the organization.
- Ability to travel up to 70%