The Director, Collections Loss Management is responsible for the administration of the operational activities of the Loss Management department, including the Kent collections call center, the Spokane collections call center, and loss mitigation activity of Member Assistance staff.
The Director, Collections Loss Management directs the operational activities and manages all loss management operational personnel of the department and acts as the primary liaison between the department and other areas of the Credit Union.
This role plays a leadership role in the three-year, strategic planning, annual planning and budgeting process for Portfolio Management.
- Perform all responsibilities in accordance with BECU Competencies, compliance, regulatory and Information Protection requirements.
- Provide ongoing coaching, mentoring and training of staff to develop and encourage their performance. Meet with staff on a timely basis for the purpose of conducting personnel evaluations and providing feedback.
- Lead the development of new processes, review collection standards, policies and procedures to minimize BECU’s risk exposure and ensure the success of the Collections Loss Management/Member Assistance Department.
- Direct a computerized collection system in compliance with applicable state and federal laws as well as Credit Union policies and procedures.
- Manage and maintain statistical records, production and management reports. Estimate and manage staffing requirements to ensure the most effective, cost efficient and productive use of staff.
- Manage and monitor Collections Loss Management/Member Assistance vendor/business partner relationships and service levels.
- Establish departmental goals and objectives for ensuring their consistency with the Credit Union’s operating plan and Collection Loss Management/Member Assistance strategies.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of applicable rules, regulations and laws affecting collections, lending, repossession, bankruptcy, and check and lending fraud.
- Maintain involvement in the loss management/mitigation community and be knowledgeable about developments, which affect the collection industry.
- Provide input on programs, staffing, organizational design, strategy, and budget planning to senior Portfolio Management leadership.
- Ensure that written procedures are documented for all functions within area of responsibility and update as necessary.
- Develop and submit for approval an annual budget for areas of responsibility. Manage expenditures to ensure budget guidelines are met and the Vice President Portfolio Management approves exceptions.
- Monitor and report on operating expenses for the Collections Loss Management/Member Assistance organization and alert senior leadership of cost over runs.
- Maintain effective communication with all Credit Union employees to ensure coordination and exchange of information for accomplishing Credit Union goals.
- Perform additional duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, or equivalent work or education related experience. Advanced degreepreferred.
- Minimum seven years of experience managing a diverse and large scale operation in a high volume financial services environment, to encompass all types of lending products including, but not limited to, consumer, credit card, home equity, and mortgage and preferably small business loans.
- Minimum five years of experience managing an automatic call distribution system and telephone auto dialer technology environment required.
- Thorough knowledge of the legal collection process, repossession, bankruptcy, foreclosure and real estate owned properties.
- Demonstrated experience leading large-scale project teams.
- Demonstrated ability to design and fully implement workflow management and efficiency processes, including staff scheduling, capacity modeling, performance management, goal setting and production oversight.
- Excellent analytical and project management skills.
- Proficient verbal and written skills to effectively communicate.
- Effective leadership and negotiation skills.
- High level of creativity and flexibility in order to improve existing programs and develop new ones.
- Ability to persuade through consensus building.
- Full-time hoursrequired, with additional hours as necessary.