Materialize is the streaming SQL database company that makes it easy for any developer or analyst to understand streaming data, answer complex questions and build intelligent applications using standard technology. Whether it's delivering personalized experiences, accurately identifying fraud, building predictive AI, or discovering new business opportunities, the ability to run complex queries on multiple streams of data and keep their answers up to date is critical to making better decisions about the changing world around us.
Who We Are:
The Materialize team includes engineers who were early employees of Cockroach Labs, Datadog, Dropbox, Pure Storage and YouTube. Our work builds on top of Timely Dataflow and Differential Dataflow, both created by our co-founder Frank McSherry, a world-leading computer scientist with decades of award-winning research in all aspects of data.
Kleiner Perkins and Lightspeed Venture Partners. Additional investors include executives from Cockroach Labs, Datadog, and Rubrik.
In this newly created Director, Cloud Engineering role, you will combine your years of proven expertise with a never-ending quest to develop innovative technology. You will be ultimately responsible for defining and driving the charter and mission for Cloud Engineering at Materialize. You will develop the people, processes, and tools that ensure the reliability, resiliency, and performance of our newly created Materialize cloud service.
In 2021, the primary goal is to successfully launch Materialize Cloud and win our first set of Cloud customers.
The ideal candidate has several years of software engineering development experience (in large-scale backend, distributed systems, platform, frameworks, or similar areas) as an individual contributor plus engineering management roles with increasing and complex levels of responsibilities. This candidate sees the team's success as their success and is willing to roll up their sleeves and assist the team in resolving critical product issues.
What You Will Be Doing
- Manage the vision, design, deployment, and support of our cloud infrastructure
- Responsible for running a Cloud Infrastructure and Operations organization that will grow to support customers 24x7x365.
- Accountable for management of project prioritization, progress, and workload management across Cloud staff to ensure on-time delivery
- Recruit, develop, and motivate multiple high performing teams of engineers and engineering leaders
- Drive continuous cloud cost optimization
- Drive efficiency by continuous automation
Who You Are
- 10+ years of engineering management experience leading productive, high functioning teams.
- Deep knowledge of distributed systems architecture, networking, object stores, Kubernetes, and containers
- Experience with running large stateful data systems in the cloud that use container orchestration systems, monitoring and logging pipelines, and other operational tools with a focus on complete automation.
- Experience building and leading a high-performance team across multiple geographies.
- Deep experience on hosted cloud technology, ideally AWS. Azure experience is a plus.
- Direct experience driving continuous improvements in process and operational efficiencies; lead process-improvement efforts and manage the implementation of both business processes and technical solutions.
- Extensive experience interacting with C-level executives
Working at Materialize
* 100% covered health insurance for you and all your dependents
* Flexible working hours
* 4 weeks of vacation
* Competitive equity package
We understand it takes a diverse team of highly intelligent, passionate, curious, and creative people to develop the exceptional product we are building. Our dynamic team has incredible perspectives to share, just as we know you do, and we take great pride in being an equal opportunity employer.