Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and
decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
The ION Director, Clinical Research & Development will play a critical role in the early adoption of the ION® platform and enable customers to proficiently apply robotic-assisted minimally-invasive care for lung biopsy. The individual will be primarly responsible for taking holistic customer product experience to the next level by deeply understanding the user experience. This includes generating clinical evidence to support best practices, and identifying clinical needs and customer requirements for new product development. This key contributor will cooperate with cross functional teams of subject matter and channel experts and foster mutual understanding among clinicians, customer training, - education, sales & marketing experts, as well as application- and development engineers to enable customers to utilize ION® to its fullest potential and address patient needs.
The individual is expected to provide an extraordinary degree of communication, collaboration and information gathering while presenting business solutions to the ISI Endoluminal Leadership team. The successful leader will need to demonstrate a broad set of business and personnel skills in support of the following responsibilities:
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Effectively manage change and complexity within a rapidly-evolving organization to achieve organization goals while preserving and contributing to a healthy team culture
- Work closely with Clinical Application & Clinical Development Engineering, Sales Operations, Customer Training & Product Education, Marketing and other key internal teams to identify opportunties to better leverage Intuitive resources and Ecosystem to increase effectiveness and streamline customer experiencee.
- Participate in high-quality clinical evidence generation through collaborative research initiatives. Work with clinicians, hospitals, and medical/surgical societies to establish and publish the benefits of Intuitive technologies while maintaining a patients-first mindset. Examine outcomes data to generate evidence showing the value of Intuitive technologies to patients, surgeons, societies, and other key stakeholders.
- Provide guidance to Product Development Engineering and experienced Ion users for creation of objective evidence that corroborates recommended procedural best practices highlighted in Intuitive training materials.
- Lead collaborations with internal and external partners to identify procedural technique improvements, expand indications, and evaluate technologies compatible with Intuitive products.
- Assemble voice-of-customer feedback to establish clinical requirements, user needs, and design specifications for new product developments.
Core Competencies, Skills and Experience Requirements:
- MS, Phd (Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent field), or MD in scientific field is required.
- Minimum of 12 years of healthcare leadership experience
- Ability to travel up to 50% and located near a major airport
- Demonstrated ability to manage complexity and work in an environment of change
- Strong problem solving skills
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of the Pulmonology/Bronchoscopy space environment is a plus
- Experience with design controls and product development activities in a medical device industry
- Experience working with physicians in an operating room or endoscopy room environment and proven clinical credibility.
- Excellent ability to interact with physicians and other professionals inside and outside the company.
- Experience in providing work direction for others and have mentoring and interpersonal skills to train & manage clinicians and internal customer support teams
- Consistently shows dedication or strong work-ethic to help meet aggressive timelines when necessary
- Successful introduction of new technologies to the market preferred.