Essential Job functions:
Manages the fiscal resources of the department in a manner that is financially responsible and consistent with the overall goals of the organization by:
- Preparing timely budgets consistent with the financial plan.
- Efficiently managing resources: labor, services, supplies, and space.
- Identifying opportunities to improve performance and remove waste.
- Involving staff in cost containment.
- Reviewing and analyzing Dept P&L and managing variances.
2. Demonstrates visibility and builds trust among team members; seeks opportunities to reward and recognize staff; fosters strong team cohesiveness within own area of responsibility
- Creating an environment that yields efficient and effective work processes.
- Clearly defines roles and relationships within the team; cultivates strong working relationships among its members.
- Providing direct feedback to others; responds to staff issues quickly and directly.
- Empowering staff to share in decisions that affect their practice; recognizes the value of their contributions.
- Keeping projects on track; working with team to eliminate or minimize barriers. Addresses obstacles as they arise; coaches to minimize impact.
- Effectively communicates organizational priorities and initiatives.
3. Manages and develops human resources consistent with organizational values, guidelines, regulatory agencies, established contracts and legal requirements by:
- Ensuring that staff qualifications are consistent with job responsibilities
- Ensuring that job descriptions reflect accurately performance expectations and requirements; update and validate job descriptions as needed.
- Following Human Resources Guidelines for hiring, managing performance, and participation in workplace activities and services.
- Provide ongoing support and mentorship to employees
- Evaluating staff performance and competency to perform job duties within prescribed timeframes.
- Participating in the development and orientation of direct reports, managers and staff.
- Providing regular and constructive feedback; offers negative feedback privately; respects confidentiality at all levels.
4. Promotes the use of information technology by:
- Demonstrating an understanding of relevant applications used in area of responsibility.
- Examining work processes to identify what can be more effective through technology.
- Using technology to increase productivity.
- Ensuring personal and staff proficiency in use of technology; keeping skills up to date.
- Monitors data/reports/KPIs for Dept; uses EMR and other data sources to monitor operational statistics.
5. Evaluates departmental needs to assure high-quality patient services and makes recommendations to the Service Line Chief and Site Directors to support organization’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Participates in QA and Performance Improvement activities by gathering data and reporting events and opportunities for improvement
- Develops workflows to support Quality initiatives
- Reviews patient volumes and provider workload to plan for necessary resources
- Reviews monthly operational dashboards with Service Line Chief and identifies necessary changes to operations in support of service, quality, coding, and financial goals.
7. Develops, revises and reviews departmental workflows, policies, guidelines and standards:
- Communicates policies, procedures and guidelines to staff and serves as a liaison between staff and the providers.
- Monitors and ensures compliance with all of the above.
Develops and implements acute and post-acute care initiatives to achieve overall organizational goals and value-based care contract outcomes.
Closely monitors and analyzes outpatient and inpatient reports and identifies trends. Develops and executes solutions to improve resource management and outcomes. Assist in development and maintenance of monthly dashboard.
In collaboration with analytics and population health teams, establishes, implements and oversees a mechanism of monitoring care delivery in the acute and post-acute care setting, including development of reports and analyses which contain clinical outcomes, quality metrics, and other quality indicators such as CMS Star ratings.
Conducts regular meetings with Acute and Post-Acute Care Leadership to include utilization management review of outcome measures (admit rates, re-admit rate, LOS in SNF, SNF days/K) and identification of training/educational/process improvement opportunities.
Identifies opportunities for the development of new care management and care transition approaches. Implement and revise as necessary the acute and post acute transitions of care workflows with hospitalists, care navigation, and care management teams to assure timely hand off communications.
Report acute and post-acute care quality metrics, cost of care impact, scope of services and strategic goals throughout the organization as needed, including Leadership, Department meetings, Section meetings as needed.
Demonstrates by action and attitude effective collaborative skills, treating staff and stakeholders with respect.
Uses, protects, and discloses patients’ protected health information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
Performs additional duties as assigned.
General Job functions:
- Ability to collaborate and build effective working relationships across all levels of the organization and collaborating partners including clinical staff, physicians and administrative leadership.
- Strong communication, team leadership and project management skills.
- Knowledge of care management regulations that fall under CMS, NCQA, regulatory bodies and other applicable state and accreditation standards.
- Commitment to service excellence and patient satisfaction.
- Ability to relate to culturally diverse patients and community.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced administrative setting.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Fluent with use of data to analyze program effectiveness and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Ability to develop positive interaction with patients, families, physicians, administrators and teammates in order to effectively promote cost-effective care for the patient.
- Aptitude for coaching, training and developing new teammates.
- Adheres to departmental work rules (i.e., attendance and dress code).
- Meets departmental confidentiality policy of all materials processed.
- Flexible hours, as required, to meet the goals and objectives of the department and the organization.
Education, Certification, and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college required
- MBA/MPH/MHA preferred
- RN or Advanced Clinical degree preferred (If an RN, must have current RN License.)
- 10+ years of professional experience required; minimum 5 years’ experience in healthcare, working with providers and/or payers at a management level
- Experience managing operations in acute care setting
- Experience providing strategic leadership, managing teams and leading projects required.
- Competent using Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.