The Director, Category Management and Insights serves as an analytic, category management and consumer insights expert using the category management process as a decision platform for initiatives designed to drive new distribution and optimize existing distribution, merchandising, pricing and promotional mix for the HPC Division. Working with the Brand Marketing, and Sales teams, this position will provide category management assistance, consumer insights and fact-based selling to help achieve volume, market share and profit targets.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Model the Spectrum Brands Core Capabilities to achieve service excellence, meet and exceed organizational objectives and support fiscal responsibility.
- Lead the team that will utilize category management skills and understanding to deliver against volume, market share, and profit objectives.
- Drive category consumer learning into stronger, more strategic customer plans and results to increase and improve customers' GMROII.
- Develop and manage the team that leads all consumer insights and category syndicated data information that are disseminated to sales, marketing and senior management.
- Work with sales and marketing to develop recommendations for product mix, pricing, promotion and merchandising for Customer Line Reviews.
- Provide sales and the broker organization assistance in developing fact and consumer based selling stories on new items, promotional planning, "fix the product mix" opportunities, merchandising optimization, and pricing initiatives.
- Craft compelling, factual, consumer-based 'cases for customer action' that enable HPC to achieve its goals at retail while delivering bona fide incrementally to the retailer.
- Lead the efforts in improving the fact-based selling skills by providing category development and management training across the sales & marketing teams.
- Work with Marketing to utilize category management insights to help drive HPC's overall strategy.
- Validate and maintain database integrity including providing updated HPC product information to data suppliers such as AC Nielsen, and NPD Group
- Manage external research suppliers, including research study design, proposal costs and deliverables.
- Perform special projects or assignments as requested by Sales and Marketing.
- Manages a team of Category Development Managers, and is responsible and accountable for the results and actions of their team.
Education and Experience Profile
- Bachelor's Degree in Business or related field required, MBA preferred but not required
- 8-10 years proven management experience in consumer product management or large company/brand account management with a significant percentage of that time working on strategic retail issues
- 3+ years of people management experience
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Thorough understanding of NPD Group, AC Nielsen and IRI syndicated data, marketing research, and current product sales and industry trends.
- Working knowledge of category management and planogram software
- Strong leadership, teamwork, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Ability to interact with diverse personalities at all levels of the organization
- The ability to work in a fast paced environment, manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize work to meet deadlines is essential to be successful in this position
Working conditions are normal for an office environment.