Director, Buying & Merchandising - DMM
The Director, Merchandising is a key leader in the Merchandising Buying team that oversees all aspects of the Small Animal Category and strategy for our retail stores. This leader is accountable for the creation of comprehensive and smart assortments that align product strategies with customer preference and financial goals, ensuring that sales, margin, and inventory strategies achieve sales plans. The Director, Buying leads a team of merchants to influence product creation, align the team to common marketplace trends, set multi-year brand strategies, drive vendor partnerships, manage product storytelling and ultimately align top line sales and profitability.
As a competitive leader in retail, this role drives buying teams to aggressively identify business opportunities and trends, maximize assortment, and generate business analysis to achieve continued growth and profitability. Understanding the evolving marketplace, market influences, and the competition is critical to the success of this leader's strategy to create innovative, forward looking and effective brands that reflect a passion for pets and pet care.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- sets strategy for division and has full accountability for assigned categories. Ensures each store has the right mix of products and that the product plan meets financial and strategic goals of the Company.
- Drives partnership and collaboration with Customer Experience, Merchandise Planning and Allocation team and vendors to ensure the assortment meets the customer and business needs.
- Leverage and integrate business analysis to track sales, identify key trends and maximize opportunities in the assortment in order to achieve continued growth and profitability. Aggressively and urgently drive the business by identifying opportunities and developing action plans to maximize best results.
- Partner with Merchandise Planning and Allocation team to run analysis and prepare selling hindsight on weekly, monthly, quarterly, seasonal basis in order to help identify opportunities in the assortment.
- Accountable for the skill development and career growth of the team.
- 8-10 years experience in Buying/Planning roles, with increasing levels of leadership experience. Retail experiencerequired and CPG experience is an additional benefit.
- Strong strategic, analytical, management, and financial skills
- Vendor relationships and negotiation.
- Microsoft Office