The Director, Business Lending – Primary Markets is responsible for leading and developing the Business Banking team in acquiring and growing business member relationships for BECU’s Business Services organization.
The Director, Business Lending is responsible for leading and developing the C&I lending team in acquiring and growing business member relationships for BECU’s Business Services organization. The Director, Business Lending develops and leads the execution of an integrated sales, service and relationship strategy and builds/manages the business banking client portfolio. In addition, the role builds and maintains strong relationships with Center of Influence (COI) referral sources, internal business partners, Neighborhood Financial Center (NFC) leadership, and through external community involvement to ensure Credit Union Strategic Objectives are met.
- Perform all responsibilities in accordance with BECU Competencies, competencies, regulatory and Information Protection requirements.
- Lead the team to ensure optimal team performance in the growth of BECU’s member business relationships, while maintaining the highest levels of service, relationship management and member engagement.
- Support the team in business development, acquisition and management of business banking relationships (including business deposits, treasury management products,OOCRE and C&I loans) through the development of an active referral network per team member, disciplined prospecting routines, and regular follow-up techniques.
- Lead the team’s relationship management functions including business development, business member engagement, credit selection and loan structuring, and overall portfolio and credit risk management.
- Build and oversee the business banking client portfolio to ensure maximum return to members, seamless operational delivery, adherence to BECU’s policies/procedures, portfolio quality and an optimal member experience.
- Provide ongoing coaching, mentoring and training of staff to develop and encourage their performance. Meet with staff on a timely basis for the purpose of conducting personnel evaluations and providing feedback.
- Ensure the cross-sell and referral of appropriate products and services. Optimize revenues/return to member and business member value by focusing on high value added relationships and transactions. Provide product expertise, creative business solutions and timely, relevant responses to member needs.
- Ensure the developed business banking portfolio complies with the Credit Union’s credit and risk guidelines. Responsible for the growth and maintenance of a high quality loan portfolio through the proper selection of new credit and the effective monitoring of booked credits.
- Participate in the development of annual business plans to include membership, loans, deposits, and non-interest income in order to meet Credit Union goals and support Strategic Objectives.
- Recommend new and maintain existing business partner relationships, including partnerships supporting payroll processing, merchant services, treasury management and investment services, while maintaining acceptable service level agreements.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of state and federal regulatory compliance laws, credit union credit policy, business & commercial loan products and services, accounting, marketing, sales, and financial and credit/portfolio management principles.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration required or equivalent work or educational experience. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience leading business,banking relationship/sales teams required.
- Minimum ten years of commercial credit and relationship management experience in small business - mid-sized commercial banking environment(s) required.
- Effective leadership, team-building, coaching and personnel development skills required.
- Excellent sales and business development skills and proven ability to effectively manage sales for the achievement of individual team member and overall team goals required.
- Proficient verbal and written skills required to effectively communicate in the English language.
- Strong financial acumen, credit and analytical skills, understanding of product profitability and pricing analysis required.
- Full time hours required, with additional hours as necessary.
- Moderate travel required.
BECU is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.