SiriusXM and Pandora have joined together to create the leading audio entertainment company in the U.S. Together, we are uniquely positioned to lead a new era of audio entertainment by delivering the most compelling subscription and ad-supported audio experiences to millions of listeners -- in the car, at home and on the go. Our talent, content, technology and innovation continue to be at the forefront, and we want you to be a part of it!
Stitcher is the world's largest pure-play podcasting company. We started as beloved comedy podcast network Earwolf; via Midroll, we provide ad sales and distribution services to 300+ shows such as WTF with Marc Maron, Oprah's SuperSoul Conversations and many more; and with Stitcher, we own one of the largest podcast apps and a network of original content from talent such as Bill Nye and LeVar Burton. We're on a mission to transform podcasting into a major part of the media landscape, and we're looking for like-minded enthusiasts to help.
Stitcher is hiring a Director of Business Development! In this role you’ll be responsible for leading our podcast business evaluation, deal making, and negotiation process. This role leads the team that identifies and acquires existing podcasts, and works closely with our content development team to assess the business viability of new podcasts. The Business Development team structures all our podcast deals, and manages the negotiation process with talent agents, managers, and/or media executives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Set the guidelines for how to source and negotiate new partnerships, manage content distribution deals with individual podcasts, podcast networks, and media companies
- Negotiate agreements with major talent agencies, entertainment lawyers, and talent
- Develop business plans and models for new owned & operated content
- Work closely with leaders from other departments including marketing, content production, and sales to strategize about how to grow the success of the overall portfolio
- Analyze podcast marketplace intelligence reports from their team to inform future business decisions
- Other duties as assigned
- Directly supervise and lead a business development team:
- Provide employees with timely, candid and constructive performance feedback
- Develop employees to their fullest potential and provide challenging opportunities that enhance employee career growth
- Develop the appropriate talent pool to ensure adequate bench strength and succession planning
- Recognize and reward employees for their accomplishments
- Supervise the orientation and training of new employees
- Recommend salary increases, promotions, transfers, disciplinary actions, and dismissals in accordance with company policies and procedures
- Conduct performance reviews
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred; an MBA or JD is a plus
- 3+ years of experience managing a team
- 8+ years in a similar role at a media company, content acquisition, operations or partnership role at other media companies, platforms or talent agencies
Requirements and General Skills:
- Deep understanding of digital media economics and business models
- Excellent communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills
- Experience with the podcast industry/marketplace and enthusiasm for its future
- Experience with entertainment & IP contracts
- Experience managing other business development professionals
- Solid quantitative and financial modeling skills
- Ability to construct analytical models for guidance in acquisitions.
- Communicate persuasively and effectively with keen attention to detail and nuance
- Some knowledge of the current podcasting marketplace
- Fluency with Excel or other quantitative modeling tools