Director, Business Development
8 - 10 years experience • Engineering Services
Burns Engineering provides professional engineering design and project management services for transportation, facilities, and infrastructure projects. We help our clients attain their strategic goals and initiatives through successful large-scale infrastructure projects. Burns' full-service capabilities include mechanical, electrical, civil, structural, transportation, and energy consulting engineering.
Recently voted a Top Workplace by philly.com, we credit our strength as an organization to our talented, driven, vibrant team. Burns is an ENR Top 500 Firm, and has been named an MEP Giant by Consulting-Specifying Engineer Magazine, as well as a Hot Firm by Zweig. We are industry experts, proven leaders, innovative thinkers, and team players. We put our clients' successes and best interests first, because their success is our success. We have fun at work because we love making a difference in the world. We are looking for high-energy, bright, collaborative individuals who want the opportunity to "write their own story" with us.
Burns is currently seeking a talented, highly motivated and experienced Director of Business Development to join our Philadelphia, PA team. In this role, the Director will work closely with senior management to build new client relationships and expand market opportunities across key metro markets in the US.
- Develop and implement strategies to create partnerships and business relationships to win clients and projects
- Work closely with Vice Presidents/Group Leaders to appropriately identify, target and develop client and market strategies, goals and execution plans to achieve company sales goal
- Build a robust pipeline of high quality, actionable opportunities and lead the initial evaluation of opportunities
- Provide input on proposals through clear articulation and translation of client needs and goals
- Attend relevant conferences and stay abreast of industry news that may impact company’s opportunities
- Manage marketing team of proposal coordinators and corporate communications
Key Skills and Attributes
- Relationship builder as evidenced by building rapport, managing internal and external relationships and working effectively across functions and geographies
- Ability to chart a course and determine what needs to be done, ability to maintain momentum and enthusiasm despite set-backs
- Dynamic individual, able to demonstrate evidence of being a highly proactive self-starter
- Experience working effectively across teams and collaborating with business leaders
- Bachelor's (B.S.) degree from an accredited University or college
- Experience with the transportation industry including roadway/highway, aviation and railroad/transit clients.
- Demonstrated ability to seek out, pursue and close sales opportunities.
- Possess a sense of urgency, high energy level, strong organizational and follow up skills
- Eight or more years of significant successful business development experience in Transportation and/or large scale complex infrastructure deals
- Proven track record in closing deals
- Travel is 40% to meet with potential clients and to attend conferences
At Burns Engineering, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Burns believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success.