The Director, Utility Solutions plays a lead role in growing Aqua Texas’s water and wastewater services in desiredgeographical areas. Using self-developed business contacts or those provided by the company, the Director, Utility Solutions will lead the development, analysis, negotiation, coordination and integration of acquisitions or other investments. As a result of these broad sweeping duties, he/she may work alone, but will many times find him/herself working in or leading groups including members of various functional areas within Aqua Texas and Aqua America. The desired candidate should be comfortable discussing water/wastewater operations, water supply options, regulatory structures, and financial aspects of a transaction, including reading and understanding financial statements; and communicating with elected and appointed government officials, developers, engineers, attorneys, etc. Travel and some evening commitments are expected, as the Director, Utility Solutions will be required to visit candidate locations and attend public meetings, as needed, to advance the possibility of acquisitions or other investments.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Develop and sustain business relationships that aid in Aqua Texas’s desire to expand in desired geographical areas.
- Partner with all primary functional areas of the organization in the pursuit and development of potential acquisitions including Finance, Engineering, Operations, Environmental Compliance, Human Resources and Legal. Lead teams of people in completing proposals and ensuring that all requirements have been satisfied so that a deal can be submitted. The Director, Utility Solutions will co-lead presentation of his/her deals through the Aqua America Investment Committee for approval. This position will provide plenty of exposure to the most senior leaders within the organization.
- Coordinate efforts with external lawyers, advisors, accountants, and consultants all of whom may be part of any acquisition team. It is important to note that these people may represent Aqua or the seller.
- Act as liaison with elected and appointed officials, state agencies such as the TX Public Utilities Commission, TCEQ, Texas Water Development Board, etc. Represent Aqua in discussions on regional water supply policy with municipal and state officials, other water industry players, etc.
- Superior analytical abilities including advanced knowledge of financial and valuation techniques is desired. In partnership with the state controller, perform valuations of target systems and make recommendations on valuations and deal terms. This includes establishing negotiation agendas and leading/participating on the negotiation team.
- Ability to identify and address cross-functional issues that may be relevant to completing or implementing acquisitions and alliances, as well developing and executing growth strategies, including analyzing new market approaches, competitors and internal strengths and weaknesses.
- Effective verbal and written presentation and communication skills. Mastery of Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel is critical to this role.
- Experience with municipalities or utilities is a strong positive, but not required. Experience with civil engineering/land development would also be beneficial.
- General knowledge of the water supply picture in Texas is a strong positive, but not required.
- Act as liaison with elected officials, state agencies such as Texas Municipal League, other utilities and with industry organizations such as AWWA, Texas City Management Association (TCMA), etc. Work with department managers tomaintain positive relationships and continually work to improve interactions with the public.
The candidate selected for this position will be a creative thinker who is both intellectually honest and curious with a demonstrated interest in learning. This person will also need to be a self-motivated, high-energy individual who can easily function in a high demand, performance-driven environment. He/she must be accustomed to working on multiple tasks in parallel. This professional must demonstrate strong leadership skills, best demonstrated by the individual’s ability to gain credibility with team members and senior management.
The successful candidate will:
- Be modest in nature, recognizing the accomplishments of the team before the individual
- Be highly motivated and possess vision and enthusiasm
- Be comfortable acting as an individual contributor and as a team manager (Player/Coach)
- Understand how to deliver on short time frames and be committed to meeting deadlines
- Communicate in an open and honest way that quickly builds trust and respect
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit
- Be comfortable on his/her feet making presentations
SPECIAL EDUCATIONAL OR REGISTRATION QUALIFICATIONS
As well as a desire to learn and succeed in Business Development, to be considered for this position you must be able tomeet the following requirements:
- Ideally, five years or more experience assisting organization(s) with new business opportunities, including assessment of market attractiveness, entry strategy, and acquisitions or joint ventures. Alternate high-demand career experiences will also be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, or Engineering (MBA a plus) withexperience in either corporate development or marketing of technical services which require longer decision cycles. Ability to construct initial pro-forma financials is desired.
Prepare operating budget for his/her activities which is approved by the President of Aqua Texas