The holder of this new position will effectively scope, define, manage and deliver products, projects and solutions to support hrvyst, a stand-alone business unit with an exclusive focus on R.J.O'Brien's Commercial Agriculture clients. The role will include analysis of business requirements as well as drafting project proposals, business requirements and functional specifications. The role will require communication with all levels of business managers, system users, internal development teams and external vendors. As a new position for the firm, there is an expectation that the BA/PM will simultaneously deliver projects while creating a sustainable infrastructure and process for the delivery of future projects and solutions.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with business managers to understand business problems and help to define, identify and implement effective solutions. Review and refine new project requests to ensure they are thorough and have considered all business needs.
- Create functional specifications and review business requirements and specifications with internal and/or external development teams.
- Research commercial alternatives for developing new systems or implementing new solutions.
- Scope projects, create project plans and work with developers to identify skills and availability of resources. Provide work estimates to set the budget and schedule for each project.
- Prepare and maintain project plans that include resourcing and highlighting critical path, milestones and dependencies across functional areas.
- Employ appropriate project management methodologies to facilitate tracking of project progress, working with developers to meet requirements and deadlines and taking corrective action when appropriate.
- Create and distribute management reports that document project status to all stakeholders and identify potential risks and issues to facilitate their early mitigation in the development process
- Assist in development of testing plans and scripts
- Coordinate User Acceptance Testing with the business to ensure that developed solutions are free of bugs and meet expectations prior to release.
- Provide metrics, context and recommendations to help senior management effectively prioritize projects. Look for opportunities to sequence or consolidate projects to either reduce costs or eliminate future rework. Understand, attempt to resolve and communicate resource constraints to assist senior management with prioritizing efforts.
- Assist with maintaining a portfolio of all requested and running projects to provide a high-level view of all projects within the organization.
- Provide governance throughout the project lifecycle to ensure that RJO policies and procedures are followed. This includes procedures on project initiation, approval, development and implementation.
- Act as gatekeeper of project work to prevent scope creep and endless projects due to requirements missed in original specifications or late-stage changes. Provide guidance to business units and other teams regarding what work should be treated as a future release.
- Provide deployment and roll-out support for systems and solutions as needed.
- Develop templates for projects that arise regularly to avoid rethinking the activities required to complete the project every time a new one is identified.
- Manage and coach project managers and business analysts within the group in their work to support hrvyst projects. Encourage team members to grow their business knowledge and skills. Mentor analysts on best practices, educate them on company policies and identify or create opportunities for staff to continue to develop.
Experience that closes matches one of the following:
- At least 5-8 years of experience with an advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA) in Business, Engineering or Computer Science
- 8-10 years of progressively responsible experience in an implementation or consulting role, preferably in financial services.
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Exceptional organization skills
- Self starter and the ability to work independently or in a team
- Works collaboratively with business leaders to obtain and synthesize information
- Ability to analyze and document current state processes and future state user requirements
- Ability to translate business requirements to a clear and logical functional specification that is coherent to IT developers and QA groups
- Familiarity with key concepts of the BA and project management roles in an organization and the standard methods employed by business analysts
- A great attitude and strong work ethic
- Skilled in educating, persuading and guiding peers and/or senior management to arrive at conclusions and make decisions
- Ability to confidently make recommendations backed by data, experience or other information
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize and multi-task under deadlines
- Experience managing large and complex projects
- Strong capabilities using Visio, PowerPoint, Excel and SQL Query Tools.