The Global Financial Crimes Compliance (GFCC) organization is responsible for detecting and preventing financial crimes as well as developing and enforcing Acceptable Use Policies applicable to PayPal merchant activities. The Brand Risk Management (BRM) Program within GFCC is specifically responsible for developing and implementing approaches to mitigating reputational, legal, and payment industry risks to ensure that the PayPal environment remains safe for the global user community. The Director of BRM Program will provide oversight and strategic direction for the program, which includes assuming end-to-end policy ownership and driving ongoing coordination with key stakeholders to establish and implement key elements of the company’s risk appetite.
- Lead a global Brand Risk Management Program focused on managing risks to PayPal arising from merchant activities that are potentially damaging to PayPal’s brand, illegal, subject to government regulation or payment industry restrictions.
- Devise and execute strategy for effectively managing risk while enabling the business, subject to appropriate risk tolerances and controls.
- Own external and internal program documents regarding acceptable use of PayPal’s services, ensuring continual updates to address evolving threats and changes to the risklandscape.
- Interface regularly with executives and other senior personnel with respect to the function’s risk mitigation activities and business impacts.
- Supervise a team responsible for executing risk mitigation and business enablement activities, including direct involvement in matters involving particularly high risk, business impact and/or executive attention.
- Drive efficient and effective policy enforcement by managing the team’s close, collaborative relations with a global analytics team that builds automated methods for detecting potential high risk policy violations and other high risk activities.
- Partner closely with investigative teams conducting day-to-day reviews of potential policy violations, establishing a feedback loop between the investigative function and BRM Program to continually evolve risk appetite.
- Ensure optimal resolution of matters associated with significant media attention and potential reputational damage, including close collaboration with Communications personnel.
- Facilitate extensive cross-functional collaboration with BRM Program and business units around the world on risk management and business enablement initiatives.
- Oversee and guide management of relations with external parties impacted by or otherwise interested in the BRM Program, including law enforcement and regulators, card and bank partners, non-governmental organizations and potentially litigious parties including intellectual property rights owners and customers restricted due to policy violations.
- Support cross-functional training initiatives to ensure both internal and external stakeholders are educated on acceptable use of PayPal’s platform and recognize high risk or prohibited activities.
Education and Experience
- 10 to 15 years of professional experience in roles developing and placing a premium on the competencies described below. At least 5 years of people leadership experiencepreferred.
- Bachelor’s degreerequired; advanced degree in law or other relevant field preferred.
- Preference for candidates with experience overseeing policy programs at technology or financial companies, particularly programs aimed at managing legal/regulatory or brand risks.
- Outstanding analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Ability to develop and execute against strategies in a fast paced and deadline driven environment.
- Well-developed writing skills, including the ability to draft end-to-end policies that are clear, concise and accessible to the end-users.
- Adept leader, capable of inspiring colleagues and aligning their professional development with achievement of program goals.
- Strong communications, presentation and interpersonal skills, including the ability to collaborate and drive consensus across all levels and departments within the organization.
- Exercises creativity, strategic vision and seasoned judgement in conceiving plans, approaches and solutions to achieve business objectives.
- Ability to simultaneously drive multiple projects and workstreams to successful completion, allocating staff and resources intelligently, resolving conflicting priorities and building productive internal partnerships.
- Attention to detail, strong work ethic, good humor and enthusiasm for tackling complex challenges.
- Keen interest in the payments space.
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.