Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation's leading women's health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women's health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) seeks a dynamic and effective Director, Booking for the Communications Department. Reporting to the Senior Director of Communications, they will work closely with broadcast and other media; oversee the placement and profile development of spokespeople and experts; support, brief, and train spokespeople; build and maintain relationships with surrogates; and ensure relevant notables have the most up to dateinformation about Planned Parenthood and reproductive health care. The chosen candidate must be familiar with the media landscape, able to build and maintain networks and relationships, be detail oriented, work well independently, and thrive in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee the placement and media profile development of Planned Parenthood spokespeople.
- Develop deep relationships with broadcast media, podcasts, and other multimedia outlets.
- Build an individual broadcast and media strategy around organizational spokespeople to reach widely through media markets and build profile and unique spokespeople voices, including in conservative media.
- Work closely with national, regional and specialty broadcast media including national cable shows, regional radio shows, and special-interest media to arrange interviews and shape coverage.
- Book interviews and work closely with producers to ensure a steady stream of interviews for spokespeople.
- Oversee logistics scheduling for broadcast interviews, working closely with support staff.
- Create and manage briefing process for spokespeople, working closely with rest of communications team.
- Maintain relationships with surrogates and higher profile supporters, reach out to talking heads and spokespeople to ensure they have the latest information and facts about Planned Parenthood and reproductive health.
- Identify proactive opportunities to book surrogates and spokespeople in media.
- Prep and brief spokespeople, and train spokespeople on media skills when necessary or for specific and new opportunities.
- Expand Planned Parenthood's footprint into new and unexpected media markets.
- Oversee development of concise, compelling briefing material that enables surrogates and spokespeople to speak effectively about Planned Parenthood.
- Participate fully in brainstorming and planning sessions on Planned Parenthood's communications work.
- Manage at least one staff member.
- Proactively push a narrative with broadcast media using spokespeople.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 5 years relevant experience.
- Deep understanding of broadcast media and the workings of newsrooms and interview processes.
- Knowledge of the broadcast media landscape that encompasses cable, new media, conservative media, regional media networks, faith media, constituency media, podcasts, and other multi-media platforms.
- Experience in advocacy-related or policy-related communications.
- Excellent ability to conceive, draft, proofread and edit written materials quickly, including demonstrated ability to understand and communicate about complex, technical, or sensitive subjects in a clear, concise and engaging manner.
- Excellent skills in collaborating across divisions, functions, and geography, with a knack for engaging colleagues at all levels in projects and processes while continuing to own and drive them.
- Experience with media training specifically for broadcast and television.
- Familiarity with national and state media outlets, proven knowledge of media trends, and strong sense of how to generate favorable traction in media.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and deadlines successfully.
- Energetic, creative, innovative approach, with demonstrated ability to develop new ideas and solutions and bring them to life.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Collaborative work style; able to facilitate amongst diverse communities and individuals.
- Experienced in getting to "yes" in a collaborative, consensus driven style.
- Enjoys operating in a fast-paced and demanding environment; a nimble and flexible style.
- A direct and open style.
- A smart and confident leader with a clear and informed opinion.
- Strategic approach to work.
- Deep appreciation for mission of Planned Parenthood.
- Diplomatic style; and high emotional intelligence.
- Integrity, independent thinking, and personal courage.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB