The Director is responsible for the operations and scientific direction of the biostatistics team in MCRN. This individual will provide senior-level statistical and epidemiological guidance to ongoing studies and to new studies, develop a program of independently funded research, and oversee other Biostatistics staff.
Education: PhD in Biostatistics or Statistics preferred.
Experience: Minimum 5 years post-graduate experience in clinical research, preferably with NIH-funded studies. Demonstrated experience in the design and conduct of clinical studies. Record of peer-reviewed publications. Outstanding communication skills, supervisory experience and ability to communicate with both scientists and administrators. Excellent writing skills and professional orientation toward both service and independent research.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises senior and Junior statisticians, assigns and oversees projects based on availability and expertise of staff. Reviews staff productivity and performance.
- Interacts with investigators and statisticians on the design and implementation of clinical and biomedical studies. Assess and makes recommendations on design and assigns appropriate personnel as needed.
- Foster collaboration across MCRN investigators and support new grants
- Review grant proposals for funding and provide peer reviews to high quality journals.
- Manages day-to-day workflow of the MCRN Biostatistics staff.
- Prepares and manages statistical budgets for new studies, manages staff within these budgets and identifies and pursues new opportunities for scientific growth.
- Provides statistical and study design expertise for development and submission of grant applications.
- Participates in writing and submission of scholarly manuscripts to peer-reviewed journals.
- Designs optimal research and analytical methodologies including sampling, validation and reliability methods, statistical modeling, data communication and statistical analysis. Provides recommendations to team(s).
- Manages and directly oversees statistical and analytical staff. Provides mentoring, guidance, and day-to-day supervision of staff.
- Creates various types of documentation, options for research methodologies, and other miscellaneous reports. May prepare project updates and contractually required reports for customers.
- Confers with outside staff and customers regarding research and data reports. Stays informed about health policy and statistical issues to maximize policy-related research opportunities.
- Associate consistently demonstrates support for compliance in the performance of job duties and responsibilities by a) developing and maintaining knowledge of, and performing job functions in compliance with, rules, regulations, policies, and statutes that affect his/her job; b) maintaining knowledge of and performing job functions in compliance with MedStar Health and MedStar Health Research Institute policies and procedures; and c) reporting compliance concerns in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.